The Little Things of a Goose Hunt

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by RuddyDuks, Jul 17, 2004.

1. RuddyDuks

RuddyDuks Elite Refuge Member

For you Pros out there, what are the little things that make a successfull goose hunt that a lesser experience hunter might miss?
    (Scouting -Set Up -Weather-Equipment-Guns & Shells -Shooting- Etc)

2. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

The best way to be successful is using the ability to change your set-up to deal with changing conditions or how the birds react to your set-up.

If you have to move decoys, blinds (layouts), calling positions, even which calls you are using--you should let the birds dictate all of these. During my snow goose hunts, we have moved decoys around several times during a single day until we hit on what worked best. We have even set our blinds up AWAY from the decoys and e-callers on pressured birds.

Most of the time, change is a good thing if you let the birds decide what they think is best.

3. sluser

sluser Elite Refuge Member

dont miss them when there in your face.:nutz

4. baker

baker Elite Refuge Member

my single most important thing for my goose hunts to be succesful is make sure i am well rested it seems if im tired and havent slept i have a hard time making the right decisions on what to do when out in the feild. If most of you guys travel like i do usaully over 6 hours to hunt from home travel time is a big deal so if im rested and have a clear mind i usaully have a awesome hunt. Have a well planned out game plan for the hunt. If hunting with others listen to everyone's advice on the sitaution and make the best of it.

5. BIG BANG

BIG BANG Elite Refuge Member

i try to stay as well hidden as possible and make sure nothing is out in the open , especially litter from the last guys and spent shells, sometimes it adds to set up time but I thinkyou have to be as natural as you can. I also drive a long way to hunt so I agree with Baker , rest can make you more on top of your game!! We even tr4y to park our vehicles out of sight of thre field we hunt!

6. Mark Moreland

Mark Moreland Elite Refuge Member

MrDux covered it pretty good,remember to make a list of everything you will need and then add 20 more items to it to make sure you have not forgotten anything.It's hell to get out in the field and realize you forgot some key equipment for your hunt,especially if you have to travel some distance to hunt...

7. Drev

Drev Elite Refuge Member<br>In Memory<br>12/02/55 - 07/

shells, licience :l

how many times have you, or someone else has forgot:eek:

8. goose hunters

goose hunters Elite Refuge Member

Pay attention for the first birds of the morning. I cant count the times they catch me not looking around very good. All of a sudden there they are. Locked up and coming right into my spread as I'm drinking coffee and telling war stories. Hours of boredom interrupted by 30 seconds of pure panic.

The number one thing for me is getting a early start so I have time to set-up and then check everything over before the shooting can get started. Hunters being late make me angry as all get out. I tell them be on time or stay to home with the women. Dont make me set-up and then come shuffling across the field at the last mi ute before shooting time. Many times that hunter flares off the first flock of the day as they make their way to the pits.

The little things can make or break a hunt. All the little things add up to a good hunt or a sorry hunt. I think you have to check everything and then do it again to be sure.

Never over call the first flocks of the day. Getting excited and calling too much is a common mistake.

9. goose_caller

goose_caller Elite Refuge Member

Like Mrdux said don't be afraid to move things around. I bet on an average day I will move dam near every decoy I set out at some point unless the birds commit suicide first thing in the morning. I have also had to in the past after watching the first couple flocks work move my entire spead(70 dozen) to the other side of the field because thats where the birds wanted into.....just can't be lazy, got to be willing to adapt.
    Unlike baker I think i tend to be my best after an all night bender when I am not thinking very clear in the field, I tend to over think things which is bad when I am wide awake......:)

10. IAsnow goose

IAsnow goose Elite Refuge Member

Dont forget your gun is must....We always park our vehicles a long way away....our truck is even Camo-Cladded:tu