The Little Things of a Goose Hunt

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by RuddyDuks, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Beckstrom Steve

Beckstrom Steve Senior Refuge Member

Be hid, don't over call, faces masked, dog inside hide-a-pooch, if possible have geese looking into the sunrise.

Steve

2. StrmChzr

StrmChzr Senior Refuge Member

However, the boys and I usually get our birds (lights and darks).
    I agree w/ the other replies, but I'll take the adapt to changes "creed" one step further.
    I almost always, either personally or have a buddy, scout the day before a hunt. I live a couple of hours away from the areas I frequently hunt, but I have local "contacts" (i.e. farmers, hunting buddies, mailman) who I'll call and ask them where and when they have seen birds.
    One thing I've learned about waterfowl in my area is that they are unpredictable b/c of the abundance of available feed in ag. fields. The other thing I've learned is nine times out of ten the last field geese are in before going to water to roost is where they will be at first thing in the morning.

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

This may not be what you are asking.
    But Know why your out there!! I dont want to sound phylisophical but hunting is what you make it.
    Different days for different reasons.
    And be ready.

This year I had a good laugh. My partner was tired and wanted to break "his" rule and left the blind.
    he was 125 yards away when the flock came in!!

4. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

there has been a lot of good replies already, but I will add my two cents for what it's worth. Scouting cannot be overemphysied. The more time spent scouting, will directly affect your odds of success. The trouble is, even if you are a great scouter and know how to use the info you have learned, you still must get the other things right.

Without wriiting a book, I will prioritise the things that I feel must be done to be successful almost everytime out. As a guide I get asked why we meet the clients so early in the morning when we are only going to set out 2 dozen dropzones for the hunt. My answer is always the same, I don't want to get caught with my pants down by the geese. We usually put out the decoys first and that may only take 15 or 20 mimutes. But I want to have at least 45 minutes to camo the pit or blinds. This is absolutely critical for consistant success. Second, I want to have about 15 minutes to rearange the decoys as it is getting light. Our depth perception in the dark is almost non existant, and to get the correct spacing, posture, and angles to the wind you really need a little bit of actual daylight. I definitely don't want to be running out into the spread to move decoys during the morning flight! If my pits are COMPLETELY consealed, The dropzones are set properly and I have set up according to the previous days scouting- it would be hard to not get a flock to decoy in and finish off to a backwing so that my hunters can harvest some geese.

It sounds simple, but as most of us know, it takes a lot of failures to be consistly good in anything we do. You can take all the best pointers in the world and unless you learn from your mistakes, you will only be successful once in a while. Always buy the best equipment you can afford, and as you get later in the season, only use decoys that can fool even you from a short distance away.

Paul

5. Joe Hanson

Joe Hanson Elite Refuge Member

I am with everyone on what they have said so far....but I would like to add what we tell all our hunters....when the geese are in the proximity of lets say the last hundred yards everyone in the blind needs to be ghost still,low muted talking is fine...sounds like murmering geese on the ground...but the clicking of guns up against the pit or laydown or the shuffeling of that new fancy cordura has killed more final approaches then anything that I am aware of....learned this from a smart man along time ago;)
    joe hanson
    Burbank Goose

6. niceshot

niceshot Elite Refuge Member

They are all wrong, KEEP IT FUN AND ENJOY YOURSELF. The birds are just the icing on the cake.

7. bkhuntfish

bkhuntfish Senior Refuge Member

Staying still is so overlooked now days IMO. When I grew up, that was the one rule in the blind (besides gun safety of course) that was not to be bent or broken. Course back than the ducks and geese were so dumb you could kill'em wearing brown Carharts, or under a gunny sack in a cornfield, or with that ugly old wetland camo pattern, that was just the military woodland scheme with tan/brown colors.

With the advent of fancy "looking", disappear anywhere camo, comfortable face masks, camo guns, layout blinds etc, it seems alot of guys think they are invisible regardless of movement.

Another thing is someone to learn from. If you can get the chance to hunt with some experienced people, the learning curve is much shorter IMO. It's one thing for a guy to tell you the little things in arranging a spread different, or calling to suit the situation on the web or in a magazine. It is entirely different to see it in the field.

The classic "do what the birds tell you to do" line is worthless if you don't understand what they are telling you in the first place. You can learn from pure trial and error, but I bet most, if not all of your really good hunters had some sort of mentor(s).

Last thing of this rant:tu Know your gun, ammo, etc. Nothing can spoil a hunt like crippled birds, broken guns and misses.;)

8. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

Scouting is important if you have the resources to hunt alot of areas.
    We have one lease, one big field, what I feel is important for this, is a big spread to draw the birds to you, a realistic spread at least the downwind side, fullbodies, customs as they make their final approach and being concealed. Its really frustrating when you bring birds in from a far, and the little things like not being well hid can flare the birds before gunning range. let the birds dictate your calling, loud, soft, aggressive, slow clucks give them only what they want to hear when they want to hear it.Weather also plays a big part in your hunting and how the birds re-act as well.
    And if your field is where the geese want to be, you will look like the best goosehunter around.

P.S. Make your shots count, you dont want to go through all of this just to miss.:l My 2 cents!