The Locals

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Fsbirdhouse, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

How many of you live in states where there are substantial numbers of local geese?
    I live in such a state, and from what I'm hearing, the local populations of Canada geese are not only growing wherever they now have a foothold, but seem to be expanding their range into new areas quite rapidly.
    I think wherever they are found they become a staple of everyone's early waterfowl hunts.

Now there are a number of states that have early Canada goose hunts. Some of my friends hunt those early seasons, and they really clean up on the 5 bird daily limits we are allowed.

Even by the general waterfowl season the first Saturday in October, I can have up to two weeks of very good hunting for the local Canada geese, and with the added bonus of small numbers of local ducks as well.

I think we owe a lot to our local goose populations. I know they extend the success of my overall yearly hunts by a considerable margin.
    I am sure others feel that way wherever the birds are found.

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Yes I agree.

Of these local geese, four made it 1.5 miles in three months and one made it 1.5 miles in one year and three months.

IMG_1170.JPG

3. Fsbirdhouse

Lot of bands there!

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

Yeah they are booming ,everywhere but here.

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Middle TN has a good population of resident geese. We don't get many migrating birds so the locals are our bread & butter for the entire season. It's really tough to pattern them. They'll use a farm for several days and for seemingly no reason, move off to somewhere else, use that farm for a few days and then off to another. They are notorious for sitting on golf courses, city parks and backyards of lakefront homes, not moving all day. When we were first allowed a two week Sept. season, a lot of the birds had white neck collars which was a certain death sentence for those that had them. Those were the first birds shot when a good size flock decoyed.

6. Fsbirdhouse

I've only seen two or three banded geese here in 32 years, locals or migrants.

7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Personally I've helped to band about 15,000 local geese over the years.

Only a very small fraction of those birds have been reported.

In some cases whole flocks that we have banded have been euthanized because not one of the geese of that particular flock were even shot. So after two or three years they assumed those geese never left the city so they killed about 100. Guess what, the next year there were 100 geese back where those were killed.

8. Fsbirdhouse

Interesting!

9. tjones

tjones Senior Refuge Member

Between Game Fish and Parks, and the farmers, it almost isn't worth trying to hunt them here anymore. But, we still get to shoot 15/day? I'll shoot a few to put on the grill, but damn near feel bad for them!

10. rossgoose

rossgoose Refuge Member

In most states where they exist, resident geese are on the decline. Between long seasons, extremely liberal limits, extension tubes, massive hunting pressure, etc, they are paying the price. Not to mention state and federal agencies euthanizing them and shaking eggs/oiling eggs. They are seen as pests which is a shame, as they are squandering the best waterfowling opportunity for alot of people. I know around here they had a hard time even finding enough to band this year.
    Where I live, the local geese are the bread and butter waterfowling opportunity, and its sad to see them decline as they have for the last 3-5 years.