The Locals

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Fsbirdhouse, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Weather is the only factor here that sees any decrease.
    I might notice that very thing with the tough Winter and late cold Spring we had here.
    The season will tell the tale.

2. Heronk77

Heronk77 Senior Refuge Member

We have a reasonable number of local geese around here. However with less and less grain being grown we usually don't shoot many until the corn and soybeans start coming off and by then the northerns have moved in. At that point it is difficult to know whether the birds you shoot are locals or migrants.

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

5/ day for the whole month of September now. Geese are EVERYWHERE. It gets even crazier when the molts come back.

4. Lslu60

Lslu60 Refuge Member

I live in Illinois and yes we have a 15 day early season in September 5 bird limit but I just wonder why the hell is our daily limit for our regular season only 2 birds per person ?! We have tons of resident geese and migrators. At times it's not even worth the work to set up and hunt when your limited out in 5 minutes .

5. CrahNX

CrahNX Elite Refuge Member

Used to have a substantial resident population in my little area of the world near the Twin Cities. There were several large ponds that each had 50-100 birds on them and I would estimate there were a couple thousand birds in a 15 miles radius of where I grew up. The birds have gotten pounded in Sept (and for a while Aug too) for over a decade and now number less than 200 total for the same area most years. Of those, a good portion go straight into suburbs once they learn to fly. Nowadays, I will set up on 20 birds hoping to pull the trigger.

6. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

We finally went to 3/day just north of you. I think the whole issue is the SJB population.

7. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

Our daily limit has gone from 8 to 1 a day. Yet come October until January I can shoot the same birds and the limits is 3 a day.

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We dont have much for a local nesting population. Once the grain begins to be harvested the geese start to show.migrating from the desert county and wetlands of Wyoming and Utah.
    However those few local birds really help the new birds survive. I get two shoots out of the locals and Im done until new birds show up

9. newduk

newduk Senior Refuge Member

Years ago we would begin seeing migrating Canada geese from SJB, around the middle of October. Our local wildlife refuge would count as many as 60,000. Now the numbers have declined from thousands to a few hundred counted each year. Instead of geese, we now have thousands of sandhill cranes, as well as a few whoopers. Most of the geese we see are resident, and if not increasing in numbers, are certainly holding steady. Early season hunts on the resident population can be fun if you are in the right place, but tend to be over pretty quickly.

10. dukhnter8

dukhnter8 Senior Refuge Member

We have a few locals and more as the season progresses. I usually set up on 25-30 birds or so as many guys around here don't think its worth it for that low number. But many times they either come in smaller groups or more birds show up than the original 25-30.

The early/resident season was originally for nuisance birds and as a means to lower the resident population. Which it has in places but then you get the educated birds that know the safe areas.