The Locals

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Fsbirdhouse, Jul 30, 2017.

1. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Locals are what generates some of the best shooting for us most years.

2. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

wow the sept season in CT and NY allows 15 birds per day and its 25 or more days!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you get early corn cutting...its a hunt you need to bring a good sized group if you can! and in NY they have a zone where you can take 8 geese a day for the whole late season....(Dec, jan, feb and march!)

3. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

We have a 5 goose limit and all our locals are hit or miss hard to pattern until they start harvesting crops

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  4. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

ND is 15 birds a day.....45 in possession till the regular season opens. Much lower then because the arctic Lessers will start arriving and they don't want to over harvest them.And the season opens today.

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Bad thing about early goose season is the weather. Be it in the north or down south, the weather is usually warm and if you don't take care of the birds is some shape, form or fashion, they'll turn sour quickly. No matter what the limit is, if you've had a successful hunt with several guns, it's gonna take a bunch of BIG coolers to handle the birds. Breasting is a solution but still is a challenge.

6. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

We Breast them as we kill them and in the cooler they go I usually have two coolers one full of ice and another one empty cause the breast are warm and melt ice like crazy

7. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Musher,
    Whenever I see the word musher, it reminds me of my years in Alaska.
    For a couple of years I had arrangements in a rent free cabin just out of Anchorage (At that time) and at the top of O'Malley road on Hillside drive. Came time to move to Kenai I introduced a gal to landowner to take over the cabin, but made a deal with her that I could fly in to party on weekends and still crash in spare room in cabin until bad weather made it too iffy to come in the Cub every weekend. That Fall I stopped coming and lost contact with her. Ours was strictly a platonic relationship for that 5 months.
    Now She was a Dog Sled racer and moved in many dogs on that 5 acre wooded land.
    Many years later I am in the house I now own watching a football game, and lo and behold she pops up on the screen of the TV commercial with a pack of Alka Seltzer Saying "When I became the first woman to ever win the Iditarod Sled Dog race...blah, blah, blah".
    Yup! Libby Riddles. Could have knocked me out of the chair with a feather.
    She wasn't any bigger round than a pop can when I knew her.
    Who'd a thunk?

8. TN_Hunter

TN_Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Hard to believe it was like that but it was, I live close to Cross Creeks NWR where Knight and Hale had their pit back in the 80's and early 90's. Anyone remember the tube goose call video they made? Growing up I remember seeing those big spreads of huge goose shells and silos from the highway.

If it weren't for residents we wouldn't have any geese to shoot around here. When and if we get migrants the residents draw them in and keep them around for us. I've gotten to where the Sept season is too hot for me, 95 is not goose hunting weather. 2013 we had a cold snap the weekend of Sept 14th 42 degrees with NE wind and we hadn't seen a goose that year. But that morning was a barn burner.

9. CrahNX

CrahNX Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^
    My brother and I watched that movie so much we wore it out. "Double Cluckin' For Canada Geese" is the name. That movie was all the additional push we needed to get us completely hooked on goose hunting. I had never seen anything like those guys had in my sheltered little corner of the world and it blew my frickin mind. To this day, I dream of putting a pit on a huge hillside behind my grandparents farm in an attempt to mimic that setup.

10. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Same here.

We used to have an August season in MN but it really screwed up the September season. I wrote the DNR many letters against it. After 4 years they realized we were harvesting the same amount of geese but over a longer period of time so they got rid of it.

The September season can be extremely good here and I usually have my best hunts in September. Depending on the area of the state you're in, we get a good push of Molt migrants by the second or third weekend of the season. Some of my most memorable and best hunts have happened on molt migrant days. It's a blast to decoy geese from the heavens with super aggressive calling.

I hunt on my buddies farm every year near the Canadian border and shoot cacklers and lesser every early season. Even see snows up that way every early season. Decoyed a nice eaglehead a couple years ago before they allowed us to shoot snows during the September season. It's not uncommon to see a thousand geese in a day up there in September. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.