The most Sought after Duck

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by KingoftheCattails, Feb 6, 2018.

1. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Refuge Member

Most sought after is probably drake mallard, drake pintail, or drake canvasback. I'm no green head purist, I'm happy to harvest some teal, wigeon, or even the lowly drake shoveler in full plumage are all beautiful birds.

Green Duck Truck likes this.
  2. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Are you my long lost twin brother?

I've killed enough ducks in my life that I don't need to pass shoot divers or shoot everything in range or that decoys. I usually let most other birds pass but there is something about working a greenhead feet down in the spread that just does it for me. I enjoy getting mallards to respond to the call more than any other part of duck hunting.

3. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    I know that I previously answered "pintail", but they are #2, by a whisker.
    My favorite duck is a spec :D

4. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Them ain't ducks!:D

OneShotBandit and Luigi Daniele like this.
  5. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Least challenging and most sought after duck to hunt for sure at least in the Dakota's is Mallards in corn fields. If your on an X and you have spinners out your pretty much guaranteed to shoot a bunch of birds as long as they return to the field and feed during shooting hours.

Any drake species that wants to decoy is fine with me especially wigeon, they are an absolute ball to hunt. I'm not a certain duck species purist like some of the guys I hunt with.

6. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Mallards are most sought after, statistically speaking. I think wood ducks are number 2, real being number 3.

The big reasons why mallards are number one, there's lots of em (historically there wasnt, at least
    out west), they are big, you can shoot a big limit of em (7 here), they make for good pictures, and they are easy to identify. Lots of people can't I'D a duck that doesn't have a yellow bill and a greenhead.

Canvasback at one time were the most sought after, they were probably one of the most populous ducks in North America at one time. They aren't dumb or stupid, young ones and ones that haven't been gunned very much can be gullible. Cans are very social, that's why they are easy to kill.

7. grande long

grande long Refuge Member

its not so much the type of duck for me just like to see em break there necks when they see the decoys trying to get in its about the eagerness all the species can do it there own special way

8. longtooth

longtooth New Member

With the way I call,any duck that come's into my spread. that being said, I like teal.

newduk likes this.
  9. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Come on over next season, we’ll see if the mallards show up. We’ll give them about 30 minutes, after that, hen Wigeon are in danger!

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  10. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

:l Sounds good!

Some days that's all there is on the coast.