The most Sought after Duck

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by KingoftheCattails, Feb 6, 2018.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I was very fortunate in that the fellows that taught me to duck hunt often hunted flooded timber and the small area that we hunted had a fair number of black ducks. Watching a black picking it's way down through the limbs was priceless. Even today, I would love to experience that again but we don't see the numbers of blacks that we used to. Black ducks would be my favorite.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I'm a simple man, I'd be thrilled to shoot tricked Greenheads with a sprinkling of other ducks and geese and a stay Black duck thrown in every now and then for the rest of my life.:tu:tu:tu

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

No question that mallards and pintails have been the overwhelming favorites in my SW Louisiana blinds. But as much as I appreciate the mallards making me look like I know what I'm doing with a call, I'm more apt to crave teal shooting than any other gunning and get the most satisfaction out of tripping up our resident mottleds.

4. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

Me its Canvasback, then the bluebill, then bufflehead. Im not a big mallard hunter

Winchester 1897 likes this.
  5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Yup "Water Doves!" :tu

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Dunno, probably been a couple decades since I've sat in the shade to shoot a dove, but I'll wade between the cottonmouths and alligators while feeding mosquitoes and deer flies to sit in the sun for chance at teal.

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  7. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Why teal? Maybe they are different there but here they just land in the decoys or don't. There's no telling what they're gonna do or why. Granted they fly fast, but I usually don't have any more trouble hitting them sitting in the decoys than any other duck.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Can't speak for Rick, but part of why they are high on my list is they'll work a call.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  9. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Maybe I've never hunted with anyone proficient at calling GWT but they rank behind widgeon, mallards and pintails in responding to calling (and that's about all we have here). They don't circle the blind. They just land in the decoys or keep flying.

blacktail likes this.
  10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I won't pretend to know how they work where you are, but they tend to break to a mallard call, and a teal whistle, pretty well here...and their reaction is very obvious .