Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

The Pas

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by recker999, Oct 10, 2017.

1. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

How are things going up in The Pas? I would think you are knee deep in mallards and divers by now.

2. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

There were no crops planted as too wet last spring.
    Read Bang's report on the main page from a few days ago.

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The valley is dead. Maybe 300 acres of harvested wheat fields total, and one farmer is not giving permission (son in law hunts it once in awhile I guess), and the other is inundated with requests from dry field hunters. Everything else is black dirt that is wet and muddy. I've been hunting the water lately with very good success. Just getting some fresh divers in from the north, as we have had no real cold weather yet. Still getting flocks of snows coming in and through, which is really surprising to me to see them still coming from the arctic. Check the snow cover map, and there is very little to none right up to the north of our province. This time last year we had 6" of snow on the ground that stayed. Most of the Canada geese left a couple weeks ago , and I guess are staging around Oak Hammock and the city of Winnipeg reservoirs. I shot 2 , what I would consider "northern" mallards last Sunday. Bigger birds with better coloration that came right in with no hesitation (local birds are really wary now, and avoid spinners like the plague). I would think that our migration this year is 2-3 weeks later than normal, if the numbers I am seeing mean anything (purely anecdotal, but I see what I see). Waiting for some cold weather in next couple of weeks to push the northern divers and mallards in. I would think we will still be hunting in November up here, albeit on the water and possibly the odd field hunt.

4. recker999

Wasn't it the same thing last fall where you were hunting well into November? Seems like that is becoming a yearly pattern now.

5. bang you'r dead

If you look at the videos from last year, my field hunting from mid October on was done out of a kayak. We had ridiculous amount of rain. Unharvested fields were loaded with birds, but for average hunter, no way to access them. Using my kayak as a layout blind in the field was about the only way to get at them. Birds hung out here until at least end of November. This year we are good until at least beginning of next month.

6. recker999

Wow so you basically had a 90 day season. So that spot you pass shoot at looks pretty nice and it looks like you have it all to yourself!

7. bang you'r dead

In the early 90's,. There would be 10+ hunters there every morning. Banning lead shot and tighter gun laws put an end to the old days.

8. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

How many tillable/farmable acres are there in the pas. Seems like it's a relatively small area.

9. bang you'r dead

10. recker999

Somebody wrote a book years ago I have and talked about a pass in the pas where natives lined up and shoot hundreds of ducks one night until after dark. It was the day before normal open for non natives. Wonder if it is the same place