The Retriever Community in Mississippi needs your help!

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by GulfCoast, Jun 18, 2007.

1. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

The Hunt Test/Field Trial community in Mississippi needs your help! The Mississippi Department of Wildlife has provided a public notice of its intent to issue rules to regulate hunt tests/field trials in Mississippi. Here is the link to a .pdf of the proposed rule:

http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife/pdf/intents/2007/Field trials - turkey dogs.pdf

As the proposed regulation is worded right now, all out-of-state hunt testers (unless exempt) would be required to buy a $30.00 7-day small game hunting license (that is the cheapest one). If the test/trial were on a WMA, then they would need ANOTHER $30.00 MWA permit, for a total of $60.00 in extra dollars, which is about the same as the premium to run 2 days. The out of state Hunt Test participant who wants to come run a couple of tests either has to buy multiple 7 day liscences (to "hunt" an already dead tame duck with poppers) or buy an much more expensive season long out of state license.

To be exempt as a MS resident, you would have to be younger than 16, older than 65, blind, paraplegic, multiple amputee, have a VA total service related disability, or a SSA total disability.

The proposed regulation mentions pen raised quail, but makes no express provision for shooting live flyer ducks, even if pen-raised.

The clubs in Mississippi cannot survive solely on Mississippi residents for hunt tests and field trials. If you run tests in MS, or just support the sport, we need your help fighting this with a letter. Just say "I have run tests in MS, or I would like to run tests in MS, but this proposed rule will make it much less likely for me to support the Mississippi AKC/UKC clubs with my dollars."

Please send your comments to:

Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks
    c/o Sam Polles, Ph.D., Executive Director
    1505 Eastover Drive
    Jackson, MS 39211-6374
    601-432-2400
    sharon@mdwfp.state.ms.us

THANK YOU for your help with this.

2. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

David: Sorry for the forum-jack, but we ain't gonna take it.....

3. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Mark,

I haven't been around for a few days (http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/wantry/6_07 shore trip/).

I know nothing of this topic... What do you want from us? Should we send an email to Sharon (sharon@mdwfp.state.ms.us)? Will she give it to Sam, or did you accidentally give us your girlfriend's email?

David