the rifle advise

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by inter82, Dec 3, 2015.

1. inter82

inter82 New Member

hello guys, I am preparing for the turkey hunting, I will go hunting in April. I have zero experience and I do not have firearm. I should buy something before the spring. Who can help with the rifle shopping? $500. Will I be able to find something within this budget? Also, I need a good knife and flashlight. Please, provide me with some ideas or brand names.

Thanks

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Why rifle instead of a shotgun?

3. inter82

inter82 New Member

I mean a small caliber rifle (maybe Remington) I’m not very good in this and I’m not sure I need a rifle. I know that my neighbor uses a bow… Shotguns? What model would you advise? And where to buy it?

As for the knife now. I liked the falcon http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eye-Brand-C...-Knife-Stag-/121824667018?hash=item1c5d50e58a But I would not mind against something cheaper.

The light.. Currently, I do not have any. This is for 420 lumens (how to understand its brightness?) https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/emergency-lighting/flashlights/2034764_6000_nebo/ Also, I heard that fenix flashlights are aslo good.

4. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

I bought an O/U Savage 223 over 12 , with the intent of having a buddy download some nice 223 shells for softer & harder hitting back body shots in western states that allowed rifles. Shotgun for up close toms & rifle for longer shots. Never had a chance to make it west till' now and all I use is my Bennelli & sold the O/U ;)

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Go shotgun. Give the birds a chance. I use one gun for all game I hunt.

As for a knife, I love my Old Timer Sharpfinger. It's a good all-around knife. $15 at Tractor Supply.

Most any flashlight will work. I don't understand this trend of high-end lighting needs.

Oh, and welcome to the 'Fuge!

6. LiamSmith

LiamSmith New Member

I'm using Browning AB3
    [​IMG]
    and just bought a new scope for it, ATN X-Sight HD 5-18X, this one:
    [​IMG]

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I rifle is not legal to use for turkey hunting in many, if not most states, so check your state regs...

Most avid turkey hunters use a shotgun or bow... The appeal to turkey hunting is that things happen close. Calling in a bird, getting the gobble, and the anticipation as a bird works in to you.

Get a decent shotgun, and a turkey choke to go with it. You do not need a scope for a shotgun, but you do need to put the pattern on paper to see where the gun patterns. I have never used a scope for my shotgun, and honestly have never hunted with anyone who has.

Shooting a turkey is actually a bit anti-climatic. It is the process of getting them into good range that is the fun and exciting part. Most of my shots have been 30 yards or less, with a couple of birds at the 40 yard mark.

8. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

For sure check your state regs. it may be illegal to use a rifle to hunt turkey in your state.
    That said, if you can, consider using a rifle. A small caliber rifle with make them DRT and not mess up the carcass. I have taken one with a 22 magnum and know of fellows who whacked them with a 22 Hornet. It IS NOT sniping from a long distance by any means; you still call them in and shoot.
    My 22 mag has a 4-power Tasco scope on it. I'd consider a red dot now that good ones are available at not-crazy prices. I would consider 22-mag, 22 Hornet, 222, and even a FMJ or soft-point 223.
    BTW, back when people had to hunt to put food on the table, the venerable, if under-powered 25-20 was considered to be THE turkey gun. Hunting them with a shotgun and shells that are like grenades is OK, but ammo is cheaper, just as lethal and frankly, I'd rather carry a sleek little rifle than a shot gun that feels like a 2X4.

9. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

If you go that way .. it's a lesser cost fix with Vahunter's suggestions, but a center fire 17 mag. would be sweet:tu

10. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

I was thinking about a 17 Rem with 25-gr bullets. That is a fast round. Might be a little too much energy,