The skinny on roux for gumbo

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Benny, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Benny

Benny Elite Refuge Member

I started doing this with my roux a few years back, it's a good trick that makes a better pot of gumbo. Lay out a thick bed of paper towels as you would to drain anything of oil, but a lot thicker. When you get your roux to the color you want, slowly pour it out onto the towels and let all the oil drain out of it. After about an hour the roux gets a firmer texture to it, and you can scoop off some and add it to a boiling stock. This way you add and taste until you get the right flavor instead of just dumping it all with the oil in the pot. It also keeps the gumbo much lighter and not greasy. Also the rest freezes nicely, doesn't really freeze just firms up. I usually make enough for a couple pots of gumbo so I don't have to make it every time. roux4.jpg roux5.jpg roux6.jpg roux7.jpg

2. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Very interesting. How long does it keep well in the freezer?

3. Benny

Benny Elite Refuge Member

I never make enough for it to be in there for over a couple months so I dont know for sure but for that long no problem at all.

4. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Couple of months is great...thanks.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

You can get pretty much the same benefits by roasting flour in the oven. No oil to even mess with either.