The United Nations and the right to self defense

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by The Other David, Sep 9, 2006.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

You've got no right to self-defense...

The more I learn about the United Nations the better I like the NRA. I used to think that people who said "Get the United Nations out of the United States, and the United States out of the United Nations" wore tinfoil hats and kept their eyes open for black helicopters.

Maybe they do, but I have come to agree with their sentiment. Take the time to read thru this report on small arms and light weapons. It turned my stomach...

Read it all here: http://www.iansa.org/un/documents/salw_hr_report_2006.pdf

David

UNITED NATIONS
    A General Assembly Distr.

27 July 2006

HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights

Fifty-eighth session; Item 6 of the provisional agenda

SPECIFIC HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUES

Prevention of human rights violations committed with small arms and light weapons

Article 2, paragraph 1, of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights imposes positive obligations upon States parties to prevent acts by private persons that impair fundamental rights, including the right to life.

Minimum effective measures that States must adopt to comply with their due diligence obligations to prevent small arms violence must go beyond mere criminalization of acts of armed obligations to prevent small arms violence must go beyond mere criminalization of acts of armed violence. States must also enforce a minimum licensing requirement designed to keep small arms out of the hands of persons who are most likely to misuse them.

The principle of self-defence has an important place in international human rights law, but does not provide an independent, supervening right to small arms possession, nor does it ameliorate the duty of States to use due diligence in regulating civilian possession...

Self-defence is a widely recognized, yet legally proscribed, exception to the universal duty to respect the life of others. It is the basis for exemption from criminal responsibility that can be raised by any State agent or non-State actor.

International law does not support an international legal obligation requiring States to permit access to a gun for self-defence.

Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations applies to States acting in self-defence against armed attacks against their State sovereignty. It does not apply to situations of self-defence for individual persons.

A. Self-defence as an exemption to criminal responsibility, not a human right

Self-defence is sometimes designated as a “right”. There is inadequate legal support for such an interpretation.

Self-defence is more properly characterized as a means of protecting the right to life and, as such, a basis for avoiding responsibility for violating the rights of another.

21. No international human right of self-defence is expressly set forth in the primary sources of international law...

Even if there were a “human right to self-defence”...

GRRRRR!

2. Dave D

Dave D Elite Refuge Member

A. Self-defence as an exemption to criminal responsibility, not a human right

Self-defence is sometimes designated as a “right”. There is inadequate legal support for such an interpretation.

Scarry stuff, all we need is Bill as Secretary General of the UN and Hilary as President and we will be killin ducks with sticks.:mad:

3. beastmaster

beastmaster Senior Refuge Member

That is what is on the horizon for the 08 election I may head for the hills before the rush