The word Cyclist is now offensive?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Squaller, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/news...aggression-towards-them-expert-say/ar-BBVjH2p

I really do not know how to respond to this... Except to say... "No... Don't be stupid."

But, I see and hear this, and cannot help but wonder what direction our society is taking, when we seemingly throw out all common sense in the hopes of "not offending."

And I do not think that the experts have considered that it is not the word "cyclist" that is the issue... It is rude behavior from both "cyclists" and "auto-ists." People cutting each other off, and in my experience that "cyclist" that takes up the whole lane coming down the hill with a line of 50 cars behind him...

It ain't the term cyclist that tees me off, it is the idiot on the bicycle with the phallic shaped helmet that feels he has the right to inconvenience everyone else at his expense.

Whatever term is chosen, will soon connotate the same emotion that cyclists now does... Another example of chasing around a phrase in which the meaning and the outcome will be the same.

2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

^^^ did anyone get the link to work?

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

It still works for me... Here is the title:

Ban word 'cyclist' as it dehumanises ride bikes riders and promotes aggression towards them, expert say

4. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

Nope.

5. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

6. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

API your link works. Is this just an Aussie problem? Haven’t heard of it in my region.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Sounds like to many people with to much time on their hands talking about problems they think the world has !!

stump likes this.
  8. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

Iy you ban "Cyclist", go ahead and get rid of Golfer,Hunter,Fisherman,Bowler,Jogger, etc......
    Stupidity at its finest.

API likes this.
  9. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I live out in the country along an area that the bicycles ride their big loops. I am not sure that cyclist is a good term. Some, are humans, citizens, etc.... They ride according to rules of the road, they have high visibility clothing, and they have lights on both front and back - doing everything they can to make their ride safe and responsible.

Then we have the privileged narcissist class. I nearly hit one of these coming out of my drive the other morning at 5:30 AM (still dark). They ride at dusk/dawn/dark in black spandex. They blow through traffic signals and signs. If they have a light on their bike, it's a small one facing forward for their convenience - not to increase their visibility to others. They ride as if the road is their personal property. I'm ok with having a hateful name for this class.

stump likes this.
  10. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member