The Word

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Buffalo Howler, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

I have a guestion for the Mormons here. John wrote that the Word became flesh. John 1:1. The Holy Bible "KJV" if you want to be specific is all about Jesus and the salvation that is offered only through what He did on the cross. The reason for Easter. All the prophets spoke of Him. In your Morman scriptures, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. Do they all point to salvation only by Grace? Many times people are deceived into thinking that what Jesus did on the cross was left incomplete. Why go beyond what was written?

2. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Amen Brother!

3. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm LDS, (or Mormon as we are commonly called). I'll answer and give reference to scripture, both from the Bible and Book of Mormon.

Grace is the help or strength given through the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ. Through the grace of God, everyone who has lived will be resurrected—our spirits will be reunited with our bodies, never again to be separated. Through His grace, the Lord also enables those who live His gospel to repent and be forgiven.

Grace is a gift from Heavenly Father given through His Son, Jesus Christ. The word grace, as used in the scriptures, refers primarily to enabling power and spiritual healing offered through the mercy and love of Jesus Christ.

Everyone on earth experiences physical death. Through the grace of Jesus Christ, all will be resurrected and will live forever (see 1 Corinthians 15:20-22; 2 Nephi 9:6-13).

Because of personal choices, everyone also experiences the effects of sin (see 1 John 1:8-10; Mosiah 16:4). These effects are called spiritual death. No one can return to the presence of God without divine grace. Through the Atonement, we all can be forgiven of our sins; we can become clean before God. To receive this enabling power, we must obey the gospel of Jesus Christ, which includes having faith in Him, repenting of our sins, being baptized, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and trying to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ for the rest of our lives (see Ephesians 2:8-9; James 2:17-22; 2 Nephi 25:23; 31:20).

The grace of God helps us every day. It strengthens us to do good works we could not do on our own. The Lord promised that if we humble ourselves before Him and have faith in Him, His grace will help us overcome all our personal weaknesses (see Ether 12:27).

4. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

I get the feeling that this is a question about some belief that people have that Mormons think they can "earn" their way into heaven. That is a fallacy, and is not something we believe. Perhaps I've read more into what you asked above, but if that is along the lines of what you are asking, this will help clarify what we believe. I'll quote from a talk given by one of the leaders of our Church.

I especially like this part:

If you would like to see read and or watch the whole talk, you can view it here: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/the-gift-of-grace?lang=eng

5. Buffalo Howler

The original topic is the Word. The Bible and it's message. My question was why do Mormons need further scriptures? The Bible started and ends with God's plan of redemption for mankind. Ephesians 2 tells us that all are dead in there sin. All. Physical death is the doorway to eternity. The Word became flesh so there could be life. New Spirit and a new heart. Ezekiel 36. The Bible always points to the work of Jesus Christ. Our work is to believe that. John 6. My question did not get answered. Why do the Mormons need 3 other texts?

6. sdkidaho

Ah, ok. Sorry - you can see that what I interpreted of what you wrote was not even close. I latched onto "Do they all point to salvation only by Grace?"

We believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God, just as we believe the Bible to be the word of God.

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth. Thus how could we not believe that God still speaks to His children upon the earth even unto today? Which leads us to the Pearl of Great Price and the Doctrine and Covenants.

The Pearl of Great Price is a selection from the revelations, translations, and narrations of Joseph Smith, First Prophet, Seer, and Revelator to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The Doctrine and Covenants contains revelations given to Joseph Smith, the Prophet with some additions by his successors in the Presidency of the Church.

As for "Do they all point to salvation only by Grace?" - you can see my answer to that above in my previous two posts.

7. Buffalo Howler

Why did the Bible need more?

8. sdkidaho

I answered your question. I'm not sure what else it is you are wanting from asking the same question. I can only guess at what it is you are looking for at this point. You asked: "Why do the Mormons need 3 other texts?" I answered that question above, and I believe it also answers your question of: "Why did the Bible need more?"

Why is there an Old Testament, and a New Testament? Wasn't the Old Testament enough? Why is there more than one book in the Old Testament, rather than just Genesis? Isn't this similar to what you are asking me? If a non-Christian asked that, how would you explain it to him?

Was it that God continued to talk to His people, and His prophets continued to record what the people needed to know and learn from God?

LDS people read the Bible and try to live by Gods commandments therein. It isn't an ignored work, but rather it is something we study along with the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. We read and study them all.

9. Buffalo Howler

I would tell them the same thing Jesus did. Luke 4:21
    And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.”

The Old Testament was the scaffolding that was used to build the New Testament. The New Covenant.
    Every bit of the Bible points to Jesus. Revelation 19:10 states that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophesy. That is why I asked about LDS scripture. Does it add to or take away from the work of Jesus on the cross?

10. sdkidaho

Does it add to or take away... It does not take away from the teachings of Christ, but to say it adds to...? I'm not sure that is the correct verbiage. I would say it is Christs teachings, plain and precious truths, another testament to the truthfulness of the Gospel of Christ. You quote Luke, yet how many books fall after Luke in the Bible? I think you can interpret many scriptures to have an air of finality, yet the thing is that we (the LDS people) believe that Christ still speaks to a Prophet on the earth today, in our time. We do not believe that He left and abandoned us, but that He still guides and directs His church on the earth, today, through a Prophet.

The Book of Mormon is another Testament of Jesus Christ. Old Testament, New Testament, The Book of Mormon, another Testament of Jesus Christ.

The Pearl of Great Price is a selection from the revelations, translations, and narrations of Joseph Smith, First Prophet, Seer, and Revelator to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The Doctrine and Covenants contains revelations given to Joseph Smith, the Prophet with some additions by his successors in the Presidency of the Church.

Just as you read the words of Prophets from the Bible (as do we), we also read the words of Prophets from the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. All of them being guided and directed by Jesus Christ, our one and only Savior.