The Word

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Buffalo Howler, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

Hebrews 1:1-2 "Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world."

Can I ask what constitutes a "prophet" in the Mormon faith?

2. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

A prophet is a person who has been called by and speaks for God. As a messenger of God, a prophet receives commandments, prophecies, and revelations from God. His responsibility is to make known God’s will and true character to mankind and to show the meaning of His dealings with them. A prophet denounces sin and foretells its consequences. He is a preacher of righteousness. On occasion, prophets may be inspired to foretell the future for the benefit of mankind. His primary responsibility, however, is to bear witness of Christ.

The President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is God’s prophet on earth today. Members of the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles are sustained as prophets, seers, and revelators.

3. Buffalo Howler

4. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

I answered that.

A prophet is a person who has been called by and speaks for God.

5. Buffalo Howler

2 Timothy 2:19
    But God's firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”

I'll stand alone on the Word of God.

6. sdkidaho

That's the beautiful thing about our country. Freedom of religion. I wouldn't think to deny you your right to believe as you see fit.

7. Buffalo Howler

Your right. But it's temporary.
    Philippians 3:20
    "But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,"

Jesus is the Word. My freedom is in Him not this country.

8. sdkidaho

Mathew 7:1-3
    1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
    3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Psalms 7:11
    11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

Psalms 9:8
    8 And he shall judge the world in righteousness, he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness.

Psalms 50:6
    6 And the heavens shall declare his righteousness: for God is judge himself. Selah.

Isaiah 33:22
    22 For the Lord is our judge, the Lord is our lawgiver, the Lord is our king; he will save us.

John 5:22
    22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

John 12:46-48
    46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
    47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
    48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Act 17:31
    31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

I am glad that my Savior will be the one to judge me, rather than my fellow man. I know my Savior lives. I know my Savior died for me and atoned for my sins. I do not fear the judgement of men. I know what it means to have the gift of the Holy Ghost in my life and to have the truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ testified to me. I strive each day to be better than the last and to live by the commandments of God, and to serve my fellow man. I am not perfect, nor will I ever be in this lifetime. I am not better than any other man who now lives or has lived or will live on this earth.

I have read the Book of Mormon and know it to be true, and to be scripture given to us from the Lord, to help us in this life. I find no offense in others that do not believe what I do, and even understand when they take offense or judge me for my beliefs. I find peace in knowing I do not answer to them, or any other man, but to the Lord. I will be judged by Him and I am grateful for that.

Read the Book of Mormon and if you are not moved by the spirit of the Lord, what have you lost? Time spent reading a book? I am confident that anyone who believes in Christ, that reads the Book of Mormon, will know at the end if it is another Testament of Jesus Christ, or not. If you believe in Christ and read it, and pray for an answer as to whether or not the book is true, you'll receive that answer.

9. Buffalo Howler

Good references. This one matters too.
    1 Corinthians 5:12
    "For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?"

If someone professes to be a Christian the Word of God applies to them. I'm satisfied with the Bible. I tried to be better most of my life. I could never get to a place where I found peace. When I let Jesus be my right it was because I had nothing left. The Word is the only perfect rule. No other texts can save.

Marty likes this.