They don't make them like they use to

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by GUNNERX2, May 28, 2018.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

And maybe they shouldn't, at least the design. These are close to 30 years old, been hunted a bunch. I've only had to touch up the cheek patches a few times. They're kinda heavy but the paint has really hung in there. Still killing geese over them. Made in USA. 20180501_155808.jpg

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

I am probably down to 4 dozen of the old, old style Flambeau mallards ( a few standards, maybe 2 dozen magnums and almost 2 doz super mags, along with a few pintail drake super mags).
    At one time, them old decoys were some of the toughest around, in my opinion. The held their paint and were "solid" enough that they couldnt be squished / damaged.
    Once Flambeau left Ohio and went to Mexico, things changed.

I remember the style of Canada's like the ones you posted that were almost black, with a light blue/grey chest before they went to the brown & tan your pic shows.

And no, they do not make em like they used to.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

And I'm SO glad they don't.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I love those old Flambeaus. I have around 15 dozen ducks of all species that I still use often. Some of them beat to crap after 35 years and still going, a lot of them with original paint. I can't imagine todays decoys getting that kind of abuse and last 10 years. My friends and I have killed literally thousands of ducks over them and continue to use them often.

When decoys were made to use, not look at. :yes :tu

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

The patent date is 1987 and I guess I bought them (2 doz) around 1990. It wasn't that long ago that I saw that Knutsons had them (snow geese as well) but I doubt they were made in USA. Academy had them but they were not Flambeau branded and were made in China.