They have stocked walleye in Ga.

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by widgeon, Jan 29, 2015.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I have decided to catch some.

So how do you do it?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Pretty much same as suspended bass. Find where they are (points, rock ledges, etc) and drag something past em. Rapala's work well.

Every lake is different. I flew into a Canadian lake two decades ago. Off the points, you didn't know if you were going to hook a smallie, pike or walleye.

3. widgeon

There's a lake near me that is supposed to have some big walleye. I know it has some nice spotted bass. I'm going to start fishing next month when they're supposed to start getting ready to spawn.

4. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I fish a lot of walleye and my go to set up is a spinner (Lindy rig type) with a minnow. I prefer to use a bottom bouncer weight as it gets the rig off the bottom a little bit. I like this set up with a nice breeze for a drift. It can be trolled as well. Same set up with a crawler or leech works to.

Trolling a shad rap is another good approach as is vertical jigging a minnow.

Enjoy catching one of the best eating fresh water fish.

5. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

Our walleyes in the south behave much differently than the walleyes up north in their native waters.

Forage is key. You will typically only find them in the south where there is ample baitfish, small gizzards, threadfins and alewives. In my lake, that means there are plenty of fish suspended chasing big baitfish, plenty in the creeks chasing smaller baitfish, and plenty of isolated fish just waiting for a baitfish to pass by like a bass.

Rarely will you find schooled fish in the south, they will be very spread out. Trolling crankbaits, spoons and spinner harnesses will help you dial them in. Until the water temp hits 70, keep your presentations between 10-15' deep. Once the temp hits 70, start putting the presentation a bit deeper. By July we are catching them 40' deep and rarely shallower.

The biggest fish in the system will likely be suspended in the open water, chasing larger baitfish.

Nightfishing is very good for them in the south, especially in spring when the alewives start to spawn.

You can also fish for them like stripers, pulling alewives and smaller gizzards on downlines and planer boards. This works well at all times.

6. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

So you are going to go out and try catching the spawning females or just the males?:scratch

7. widgeon

I don't know. Either and both I guess. I plan on starting to fish as soon as it warms up enough.

It's supposed to be in the single digits this week.

8. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

I lived in GA for a short period and decided to try for walleyes. Missed the spawn by 2 weeks and only caught 1. I was also fishing too far down from the whitewater. Most of the fish will be smaller males...

First you need to figure out where they are at. Then figure out where they spawn. Then fish the spawn about 2 weeks earlier than you think is correct.

You can also do the cheating way and do some searches in GON forums, google GA Walleyes, etc.

No guides fish 'em, some TV personalities have and those guys usually troll spoons.

Fishing the spawn at several rivers will get you some fish. Do your research. Think March.

Good luck.

I just don't feel like handing out stuff that I had to figure out to people who can't be bothered to do the brain work. If I said, go fish X the 4th new moon of the year, you'd have a busy spot. Walleyes are a fun target species but most guys only want a free ride to the fish.

After you are done with the eyes turn to the crappie, white bass, and hybrid runs. Lotsa of fishing there, just different from other places.