Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Things I learned from Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by golden boy, Oct 23, 2007.

1. turboduk

turboduk Senior Refuge Member

5. Canadian women will sleep with you within 4 hours of meeting you.
    Did you meet Angie? Did she show you how fast she could? Well never mind.

Seriously though the Canadian folks are some of the best people on the planet. And yes please I'd like gravy with my fries.

2. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Couldn't of said it better myself Mitch.:tu

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I have been talking to some game managers and game wardens about this, as well as a local outfitter. We have some American hunters come up here on opening day, and do not leave until the last birds are gone. "Friends" show up every 3 or 4 days to hunt with them. They give away all their birds and don't keep anything.

Some of the proposals include

1. Limit the license. Suggestions included 4,7,14 and 21 day licenses. Non-renewable.

2. Limit the take. Suggestions that every bird taken must be tagged. Once the tags are done , you are done. Almost everyone agreed on a 3 day aggregate, ie, 24 ducks, `15 dark geese, 80 white geese.

3. Follow the birds. If you gift birds, you must maintain a list of who has them. They remain part of your possession unless consumed.
    **A problem with this, is that legally, anyone you gift birds to, in Canada, must have a migratory game bird permit in order to possess them.

I would look for one of these three scenarios to come into play within the next 2 years

4. cjcocn

cjcocn Senior Refuge Member

I think I met one of those guys this fall. He was up early (I noticed his truck) and I introduced myself a couple of weeks later while I was in the area. He specifically said that some friends of his had just left and some new friends had just arrived.

I wondered about the "unofficial guiding" thing as you had posted it previously.

I will PM you. EDITED TO ADD: ... when you clear out your PMs.

5. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

1. In the interest of the respource, I am hoping that those proposals apply to residents as well as NR's. A bird felled by a resident is just as dead as one killied by an NR.

2. Of the three scenarios, the tagging makes the most sense to me, with 1 possession limit worth of tags issued with the license, and a second and thrid to be purchased separately.

6. Residents dont kill anywhere near the number of birds NR do, so why should it apply to them. There are far fewer hunters in canada and even less hunt hard enough to make a difference like americans crossing the border do now.

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

No , it should not apply to the residents. We live here, and consume the birds throughout the season. 90% of the hunters I know hunt less than 4 or 5 times during the season. Some of the native hunters I know won't even hunt at all until the very late season, but then harvest lots of birds.

When you finish harvesting your birds here, you may go to other provinces or states and end up back home , probably with 100 + days in the field.

The majority of hunters I meet from the states are killers. They want numbers, they hunt as much as they can while they are here, and most I have met gives their birds away, with some notable exceptions.

Chris, we'll have coffee some day and discuss these guys.

8. KENNEDY63

What do you base that asssertion on?

9. KENNEDY63

"No , it should not apply to the residents. We live here, and consume the birds throughout the season."

So if I take all of my birds home on each trip, consuming them throughout the season - the leg tag/time spent in Canada should be moot.

"90% of the hunters I know hunt less than 4 or 5 times during the season."

Cool. Then they wouldn't use their full allotment of tags.

"Some of the native hunters I know won't even hunt at all until the very late season, but then harvest lots of birds."

Had some friends in northern Sask. hunting snow geese this year. Natives took all of the birds from every shooter in town every day for the local reserve.

"When you finish harvesting your birds here, you may go to other provinces or states and end up back home, probably with 100 + days in the field."

I don't know who "you" is, but I am assuming you refer to me. Most guys I know that go to Canada - that is their one big trip of the year (I try to make it twice for snow geese and twice for mallards - looks like one snow goose trip for me this year) - and most spend nowhere near that many days in the field because they blew their vacation time on their Canadian trip.

"The majority of hunters I meet from the states are killers. They want numbers, they hunt as much as they can while they are here"

Can you blame a guy who travels thousands of miles and spends good money for hunting hard in the limited amount of time in country? Just because a guy maximizes his amount of time in the field, hunting various species throughout his stay, doesn't make him any more of a "killer" than a local who pounds as many or more birds throughout the season.

".... and most I have met gives their birds away, with some notable exceptions."

Takes two to tango. Who are all of these people accepting these birds? Who finds all of the "locals" for those "greedy" Americans to give their birds to? To lay such "greed" solely in the lap of the shooter strikes me as a bit disingenuous.

I notice you are from The Pas. If you and Chris want to start "cleaning things up" over coffee, you might want to start in your home town. There's some dude (I think he's a pharmacist up there) who posts on several other waterfowl sites continuously from the Pas concerning his daily exploits in the field, in most cases (it appears) taking a limit a day.

We are talking about management of a shared, international resource. As time has gone on, I am seeing more and more folks spending more and more time in the field up there. Which is fine, but it begs the question - what happens to the birds? For a shared resource to which ALL of us contribute financially - do we really want the snot shot/educated out of them north of the border?

10. cjcocn

cjcocn Senior Refuge Member

LOL ... to use your words:

I wrote that I may have met one of those guys this fall (a NR who was providing guiding services). I also told BYD that I was going to PM him. He responded that we would have coffee one day and discuss it.

How does that equate to me wanting to start "'cleaning things up' over coffee?"

This thread appears to be headed in a certain direction, and perhaps its civility can be maintained if we all refrain from making assumptions regarding the intent of other posters (and yes, regarding the intent of other hunters, et al, as well).