Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Things I learned from Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by golden boy, Oct 23, 2007.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Most of the guys who visit this site are "hard core" hunters. Out of all the hunters I know in the local area, I only know of 3 that really hunt to fill their freezers, and that includes deer, moose, caribou, elk, upland birds, ducks, geese, and walleye. Everyone else would be termed a casual hunter, 2 or 3 weekends a year, and a dozen birds in the freezer.

They may grumble about a tag system, but they would go along with it as well.

2. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

What I think this all comes down to is,

Canadians don't want to see NR hunters for week(s) on end hunting up here. Or shooting hundred of birds, just because there isn't a law that says they can't. We don't want to see groups of Americans hosting a new group of "friends" every couple days.

Americans still want the freedom to come up here and freelance. Most ethical hunters that do visit Canada do see a need to curb some of the more unethical/illegal behaviors we as Canadians see first hand year after year.

3. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Come December/January they're all U.S. bound "mall rats" or soaking up rays in Cuba/Florida/AZ/Mexico. :l

In all seriousness, given the abundance of free quality hunting locally, why would some Canadian pay $'s to shoot five teal a day in Texas?

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

It is an eye opener to hear the stories of what it costs to hunt in the states, especially in a club or on private land. The one guy I hunted with this year told me he rents a blind on a private lake about 2 hrs from home. There are 4 blinds on the lake, and they rent for 8-10,000 per season. He is in a group of 10 , who throw in 1000.00 each which pays for an 8,000 blind, plus any supplies for the season (propane etc.). The problem is that on a weekend, all 10 can show up at the same time. He can take the 1000.00 and come up here for a week and have better quality and quantity hunts than he can dream about back home. Can't blame him for wanting to come up here.

That's one of the reasons I moved here 20 years ago. Quality of life, quality of hunting , fishing , and life itself.

Excuse me while I go for a quick snowmobile ride.

5. Coldfronts

Coldfronts Senior Refuge Member

Great post Can.

I don't hear Texas or Louisiana or other southern states crying because the Canadian hunters aren't traveling down there to "pump millions of dollars" into their economies.

Nothing like kicking a gift horse in the mouth! You were right about that and what the americans do for the canadian farmers and the economy though! I have heard the complaints when "US" Americans didn't come up there when there is the Mad Cow scare a few years back and then this year with the H5N1. Seems every year it is something.

Did you meet any resident hunters in Canada, or just "residents"? I have visited a lot of places in the U.S. and most of the PEOPLE I met there didn't eat wild meat, or have any interest in eating wild meat. But, ALL of the HUNTERS I met in the states did.

UMMM, Yes! Most of them Guides. They are your problem. You need to hate the player and not the game. These are the people ruining it for everybody. Its not all that hard to comprehend. What do these guys do with their birds?

Landowners and farmers may not want to eat game - just because they own property that hosts thousands of migrating waterfowl or herds of deer doesn't mean they are hunters, or are interested in eating wild game. Maybe they are, but if they aren't, that's their perogative.

These are the people that will tell you to stick it where the sun don't shine. They know what the American money means to the smaller towns. I am not talking about Winnepeg, Edmonton, Calgary and the big metropolises with too many people that know too little to see the impact.