Things sure have changed..

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Jul 10, 2018.

1. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

I did not write what follows but is sure reads as though I did. I grew up in Danville, back when it was a little town on Highway 21, not the posh, upscale community it is now. We used to play flys up in front of of our house in the summer and tag football in the winter. Ron Havercroft was there, and sometime we went all the way to the school to have a real game, we also mowed the wild grass behind the Jensen's house one time to make our own field. That's where I got hit in the mouth with a baseball and broke a front tooth. We used to go hiking in the hills up above our house and catch frogs, pollywogs, lizards and snakes. Dale Alter was there the day we had the great bicycle wreck. But went hiking anyway and caught a huge gopher snake. My mom had this amazing soprano WOOOOO-HOOOOO that could be heard for miles, and that was my call to come home. We played little army with plastic soldiers and big army with our toy guns. I can only imagine how many hot dogs my mom cooked for us kids. We had to mow lawns and rake leaves and sweep and sweep and sweep (10 walnut trees) Life seemed simple then, though I am sure we just didn't know all the things going on in the world.
    Every neighbor was our parent. When we went outside to play, we got dirty. We ate bologna (cold or fried), peanut butter & jelly, grilled cheese sandwiches, pork-n-beans, hamburgers, hot dogs, and homemade bread. All we drank was kool-aid & milk.
    We took our school clothes off as soon as we got home and put on our play clothes. We had recess every day. We walked to and from school, rain or shine or your parents drove you. There were no snow days. TV was black and white and all stations went off at midnight, after playing the national anthem & no stores were open on Sunday. That was family day.
    We ate penny candy - Squirrel Nuts, Mary Janes, Bazooka Bubble Gum, Tootsie Rolls, Chico Sticks, Boston Baked Beans, Hot Tamales, Lemon Heads and Red Licorice Strings. We played Freeze Tag, Red Light, Green Light, Hop Scotch, Hide & Seek, Red Rover, Truth or Dare, Softball, Kickball, Dodgeball (in the streets!), touch football, roller skated, and rode bikes all over the neighborhood. We put cards on bike spokes to make our bikes sound like a motor. Boys collected baseball cards, marbles, and comic books, and read them, not put them in plastic. Girls spent hours playing double dutch, paper dolls, Chinese jump rope, & jacks. Staying in the house was a punishment, and the only thing we knew about "bored" was board games. There was no bottled water. We drank from the tap, the water hose, and fire hydrants. We ran through a sprinkler or got in a nearby lake or river.
    We watched cartoons, especially on Saturday morning, We also cleaned house and did laundry with a washer spin dryer on Saturday morning, while listening to music from all the greats (real music, real lyrics that you could understand). We went to Sunday school and then Sunday church service. Our neighborhood was a community. Someone had a fight, and we were friends again the next day, if not sooner. The street lights were our curfew. School was mandatory (we had truant officers that you don't know anything about) and teachers and police were people who you could trust.
    We watched our mouths around our elders because all of your neighbors were our parents, and you didn't want them telling your parents if you misbehaved. We respected elders!!
    I loved growing up when we did. It was a great time! Those were truly the good old days!

2. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

Dang, for sure we are the same age...

3. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

Man you are real old .

Red foot and mark seaters like this.
  4. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Lots of truisms there, and we didnt just survive, we thrived.
    Dad would get off the bus from SF, walk down the street in a suit carrying a breifcase, whistling the whole way.
    He always found time to take his tie off and
    Play football with me and the neighbor kids.
    Life sure was grand.
    That was only 40years ago.
    I wonder what 2050 will look like?

5. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

That didn’t end that long ago. Same
    Set of rules for me.

6. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

When I was a kid in Marin, and later our kids as well, in the absence of snow we used to ride pieces of container cartons down the hills over dried out wild oats. I remember my brother going out of bounds and through a barbed wire fence, picking up a scar near his mouth that lasted all his life.

Oh yeah, also in the absence of snow we used to toss grass clods at each other. Does anybody today?

7. smith46

smith46 Senior Refuge Member

8. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like my youth to be sure. I grew up in Palo alto. Needless to say it has changed a wee bit. I'd like to think there are still many places in other parts of the country where kids still grow up that way, but not in the Bay Area.

9. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

...and dirt clod wars too. Those were the days. About 1/2 mile from our small east TN settlement was an abandoned farm house in an area called Sugar Hollow. We would break up into teams with one group defending the house and the other attacking group trying to take it. I remember the day when I ran out of BB's and starting throwing pieces of brick from the falling down fireplace. Then I hit Roger Graham in the head with a thrown brick and knocked him out. Suddenly the priority was to revive Roger. Once he came too, the next job was convincing him to not tell his Mom what happened. We were in debt to him for what seemed like forever.

10. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Be home for dinner or you won't get any. Be home before the street light comes on. Other than those two rules, I could go anywhere at anytime. In my small town you knew how to behave, because everybody in town knew you and your parents would know what you were up to before you got home to tell them.