Think this year was rough on AR WMA's? Hang on.

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Hugatree, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

image.jpeg Ladies and Gentlemen: The 2017 Bayou Meto Mega of choice:

2. Hugatree

Exactly. None of these changes affect the people making the rules one bit. From another angle, George Dunklin leases a stretch of timber for $112,000.00 and I know of one of the ten on the lease. It's pocket change to him.

Like you said, the poor sore heads like us won't be vying for leases like this. If the six year olds keep whining after the H20 management changes kick in and let their temper turn into violence, AGFC will just enact a draw. Problem solved.

I think it's time we all took a deep breath and invested in a 20 gauge, some festherlite decoys and breathable waders.

3. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Ask yourself why this was never an issue 30 years agp? Rather simple, longer seasons and later season dates has these areas under water more days a year.

Hugatree likes this.
  4. gascrewgunn

gascrewgunn Senior Refuge Member

Woods have always pretty much been flooded for the same dates...even in 30 day duck seasons that encompassed dates of 3 months!

5. In Close

In Close Elite Refuge Member

As Far As I Can Get From Skybusters & Spinners & V
    What are the private GTR land owners doing to save the forest? Anything? Or are they still and will continue to flood earlier than the WMA's and leave it flooded till February as they have for decades? And miraculously not jeopardize their oaks.

MGDUCK2 likes this.
  6. getemshug

getemshug Senior Refuge Member

That's the real question. Why are the private guys not doing this? I sure hope they are careful with their select cutting. Dagmar north of forty got raped bad. South of the highway there got hit bad too, like a war zone there and hard to get around. East side of hurricane hasn't been the same since they "select cut" it either. Now the north side of hurricane us all blue painted up to cut. BM is all blue paint too. What I don't understand is Hurricane floods less than most. Needs 27.5 at Augusta to start getting in. Water stays in the lakes and creeks but the woods don't flood yearly and they're gonna cut it cuz the woods are bad from too much water too long??? I don't buy that. BM maybe but not Hurricane and not Dagmar. I wish they wouldn't cut it, but I'm sure they will. I sure hope they clean up their mess this time.....

7. getemshug

getemshug Senior Refuge Member

And another thing.....I never see acorns in the craw of a mallard. Wood duck yes but not mallards. If all they go there for is the invertebrates, do we really care about the red oaks? I like red oaks, but they aren't gonna regenerate in our lifetime or maybe our kids.....at least not the big ones I always hear follow the skinny water but there is some deep water in BM that ducks consistently hit.

I wish they would figure out how to get the water off these places quicker rather than simply not flood them.

smashdn likes this.
  8. Hugatree

I know private timber people who don't flood half as much depth wise and they get the water off very quickly.

Diprivan likes this.
  9. MGDUCK2

MGDUCK2 Elite Refuge Member

Hugatree.....you are so full of s*** it's running out your ears....:yes:nutz

Well...I have picked up a few, very few, mallards with acorns in their craw, usually Pin Oak....99%...Rice....soybeans...etc...I think the ducks go there for the refuge, to rest...they eat all kinda stuff in the woods....If they had thought of this forty years ago....when we had a lot of RED oaks and Pin Oak Flats galore in BM.....Now it is full of Hackberry and other trash trees but Hey, the AGFC is gonna take care of you....:reader:scratch.......Look at it this way......they are gonna do it.....SO......Just like Trump kicking Hillary's azz......GET OVER IT>.....:reader

smashdn and bill cooksey like this.
  10. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for that!