Think this year was rough on AR WMA's? Hang on.

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Hugatree, Mar 1, 2017.

1. In Close

In Close Elite Refuge Member

As Far As I Can Get From Skybusters & Spinners & V

Hugatree likes this.
  2. Diprivan

Diprivan Refuge Member

I've picked many a mallard with acorns in their craw. I've also hunted a club that was not doing so well until they select cut their timber. A lot of trash as far as undergrowth for a couple years, but man those ducks couldn't be beat out with a stick since. Just an anecdotal observation.

3. getemshug

getemshug Senior Refuge Member

20ish years for oaks to start producing acorns. Hopefully select cutting and less flooding will let some of these younger trees grow better and start making acorns sooner? MG, you are an old SOB and have hunted much longer than I. I also seem to remember you being a somewhat avid squirrel hunter. Now I know your father may not have been a forester, but do you think the change in the trees in BM has really affected it? Squirrels still all over the place as far as I can tell. And the ducks still get in there pretty thick. My gosh the place was loaded on youth hunt weekend once all the OOSERs left it alone.

4. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

No, I am as full of sh&@ as a Christmas Turkey.

5. Yrtnia

Yrtnia Senior Refuge Member

Water may be killing the trees but the internet has killed the fantastic public timber hunting in Arkansas.

It's ruined a lot of good things.

6. MGDUCK2

MGDUCK2 Elite Refuge Member

I think the damage is done to the trees and has been for years....what we do? I agree there is damage to the trees but the method of madness they choose will cause the biggest cluster **** in the history of BM.....OK lets say they are going to flood Upper V and Cannon Break / Beaver Dam...and not flood Lower Vallier.....now where are all the LV hunters going to go?? Then the next year, flood lower and NOT flood Upper or CB......and then .. NO FLOOD at all the next....think about that? That means my Duck Club's Value took a dive.....IN the first Scenario the parking problem alone would be ridiculous to the point of madness ........:doh:z.....Take all them LV hunters AND LONG POND hunters and move them to Halowell ...tiptons..upper... Mulberry...a nightmare....now imagine it during GOOBER WEEK!.....

The solution is to close all of BM untill the trees are in dormancy ....and then open it ALL up.....do your select cutting in the off season...mg out

bullpinnie likes this.
  7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

SOUNDS REASONABLE!

8. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

There you go using common sense & logic, again. Government; Saving me from me again!

9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Why not lower the water, and make the whole place walk-in?

10. getemshug

getemshug Senior Refuge Member

Someone feel free to correct me here. Lower the water and not nearly as much floods. To keep a lot of that place shallow means only 1/2 the whole place will flood.

MG, I guess I didn't think of them keeping one section dry per year. I guess I thought they planned on the whole dang place being dry once every three or four years. I was just hoping the BM dry year would happen when it was a wet year everywhere else so the white would flood and we'd all have somewhere else to go hunt.....