Thinking about buying a layout boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by JK♡DUCKS, Dec 5, 2017.

1. JK♡DUCKS

JK♡DUCKS New Member

Hi, I am looking into buying a layout boat. Hunting open water looks like a ton of fun and would open a world of possibilities on the rivers and lakes I mainly hunt. I started looking for a used one but there doesn't seem to be many in my parts. I am in Canada near the Quebec /Ontario border.
    I have narrowed my choices down to a core sound or a bankes pumpkinseed. How do the 2 compare on the water. It doesn't look like I will be able to try before i buy or even see before I buy so any help is appreciated.
    If anyone has a lead on a used one, even if it is a far drive, I would appreciate that too.
    Cheers.

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Best of luck on your search, and don't rule out a good Paul Busick layout.

3. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

Make sure u can tow it at speed. Tow eye under the bow. I have am mlb2. Great boat. Tows at 4kts. Or it’ll submarine. Can’t get it on or in my boat

4. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

we always put it on front of boat....never towed. My friend who had the boats / gear for layout hunts made a wood support that went across the bow of his tender boat that cradled the layout in place. Decoys rode under the layout boat.

5. SeaArk20

SeaArk20 Refuge Member

I have a Core Sound Layout that I really like. It is dry and comfortable. We ride ours up front and do not tow it. Unfortunately I do not have any experience with the Bankes so I can not compare the two. I actually just got on the list for another one. The owner of the company is from a boat building family and are great to work with. PM me if you have any specific questions.

6. JK♡DUCKS

JK♡DUCKS New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I just pulled the trigger on a Bankes Pumpkinseed. I will be taking possesion of it Friday afternoon. Im a littele nervous and excited at the same time !!

7. mike-sid

mike-sid New Member

What do you think of your new layout boat? Were you able to use it yet?

8. JK♡DUCKS

JK♡DUCKS New Member

Mike Bankes was supposed to deliver it in person but work got in the way and I had to have it delivered. It showed up 2 days ago at my friends warehouse. I saw it today briefly. It looks awesome. Unfortunately any water nearby is frozen solid so I don't think I will be using it this year. It looks to be extremely well built. I will be exploring to find somewhere to hunt on the st Lawrence river between montreal and cornwall during the holidays, hopefully i can get a feel for the boat. Temperature has really dropped in these parts though.

mike-sid likes this.
  9. mike-sid

mike-sid New Member

Thanks to the temperatures dropping in the great white north, we are getting your ducks here in CT. My buddy just shot a Black duck today, that was banded in Quebec in September of this year. In general this week, a new flight of ducks are in town.

10. JK♡DUCKS

JK♡DUCKS New Member

Makes sense, everything started freezing over last weekend. Best of luck !!