Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Thinking about float pods...

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by StumpJumper, Feb 13, 2018.

1. StumpJumper

StumpJumper Refuge Member

1542 alumacraft with a 25 yami four stroke. I'm going to add a cmc trim unit to it.

Are float pods worth the hassle? They seem a little expensive for what they are. Would a fab shop be able to make the, cheaper? If not, which ones should I buy?

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I got the medium sized ones from cabelas on my 1542 modv. When i upsized my longtail motor the stern was riding low. It definitely helped offset the extra weight and they make for a easy step in/out of boat. Make sure you install them at the correct angle/rise and if you don't know how to weld aluminum, get some help or hire it out...it's very easy to burn thru the hull and then you'll be chasing pinhole leaks and it can be a PITA. 20170422_194537.jpg

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I have a fab shop, and weld these things on. I can't make them for what you will pay a mass producer. :no
    Only way I can fab them up and make it pay for the customer is if they have to have something special; something not available in standard sizes or configurations.

callinfowl likes this.
  4. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

I put them on my boat after adding a 40hp 4-stroke that weighed significantly more than the 25hp 2-stroke we had on. It made the boat float flat, was a great way to get both myself and the dog into the boat and definitely helped us get into skinnier water. I had mine fabricated by Boyd's welding but it sounds like they don't make them anymore. I think beavertail pods are the best you can get pre-fabbed. If you're going to get them you should definitely be looking at getting a jackplate as well.

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/mounting-float-pods-question.868177/

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/pods.965827/

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/beavertail-pods.889051/#post-9090693

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/floatation-pods.932754/#post-9622634

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/boat-pods-which-ones.919957/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

They're worth the hassle. Do it.

6. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

I have run Beavertail flotation pods on a couple of boats, and now have Phowler's flotation pods on my Phowler Exteme. I really like them and appreciate that you can use them as a step to get into the boat.

Be careful with the Beavertail pods, though, I have split the welds on them. I don't think they are MIG/TIG welded like you see in most marine fab'd stuff. Looks like they are diffusion bonded instead. I had all the seams TIG welded because they were starting to crack. The Phowler pods are solid, no problems with them.

Like already stated, if done properly, you will like the flotation pods.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You can bet they are not DB'd. If they were, you could buy a new F350 Dually for what they would have cost you. Maybe several of them.....

More likely is that they were GMAW'd, then the beads were dressed down because of unsightly welds. This removed the weld's reinforcement and left them weaker than they needed to be. I hope you had the welder leave the pretty beads in the as-welded condition?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  8. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

Tuleman,

It's likely what you posted. Beavertail's welds are weak, so a person needs to be careful about banging them into the ice (that's what I did and cracked them). And yes, I left the welds alone after they were fixed by TIG welding. To me, it's like looking at a work of art.

9. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

E40E8ED3-50CD-43D6-B00A-DCB46A8A8598.jpeg 9CF99411-B176-407B-AFDC-4E195693FCEA.jpeg F3BA76AD-C82E-4534-A66B-06AA82348B89.jpeg With the shift from two stroke to four stroke engines pods are a much needed addition imo. I am guessing that is why tracker fabricates them on their grizzly’s right from the factory? They seemed to work well on the 1654 MVX Sportsman Grizzly with 40 Merc I purchased new last spring. At least in the 5 hours run time I put on it before trading it in...:grvn

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  10. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

20161218_143103.jpg I had mine custom made by Boyds.... to fit the back of the transom as much as possible... and i had them welded on... the skin on my transom was thin and the pods eventually angled down from fatigue.... I cut them off and welded a 1/4" plate on the back of the transom and then I welded huge custom hinghes on that plate and i hung the pods on that hinge on the bottom of the pod and drove it up and down with LENCO electric actuators.... this way i pull the pods up to run at full speed with no drag from the pod on the water...but when i need life i trim the pods down to lift the stern.....i love it...... and the Lencos are strong enough to let you climb in and out of the boat on the pods still!......where previous i bent them downward from climbing in and out...

snipe n likes this.