Thinking of moving to Kodiak...

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by BuffleheadKing2, Feb 27, 2011.

1. BuffleheadKing2

BuffleheadKing2 Elite Refuge Member

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a job offer on Kodiak. How awesome is the waterfowl and other hunting in that area. What are some of the main speices of ducks in the area?

Also any other info a guy from IN might need to know would be great...

2. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

Its wet there. Really wet. Deer hunting is awesome but tough due to the terrain. The brown bear hunting can be pretty good. Goat hunting is hard. Fishing is awesome.

Duck hunting can be hit or miss depending on your boating skills mostly. A lot of sea ducks and with the right habitat there can be mallards and stuff around.

A good place to go for Alaska info is the Alaska Outdoors Directory Forums.

3. Bruce Owens

Bruce Owens Senior Refuge Member

I.ve hunted kodiak 5 years in a row. I killed most all my Kings there. There are harliquins, pacific,kings and stellars ediers, old squaws,buffelheads, greater scaup, mergansers and numerous other species. Lots of foxes all color fases. It has been along time since I hunted there though. Last time was in 1991.

4. waldo2382

waldo2382 Refuge Member

While I haven't lived or hunted in Kodiak, the duck hunting there from what I here is phenominal. The trick is access. Plan on having to use a boat for sea ducks. I'm not too sure where the puddle ducks are, but you can get mallards on the salt too. The main species you'll see near the beach are mallards, harlequin, goldeneye and bufflehead. If you get a hold of a boat, you can go out more for oldsquaw and eiders.
    There isn't a whole lot of road on the island. I hope you like rain. Fortunately there is regular ferry service to the mainland. Depending on weather (nice weather 8 hours, nasty weather has taken me as much as 20 hours, if not cancelled.)
    Fishing is good for halibut and kings. All 5 species of salmon can be found in the rivers on the road system. For deer hunting, it can be done by quads, but plenty of people do that. Best luck for deer would be a float plane or take a boat to hunt beaches.
    There is also elk on some of the islands, some are a draw, some are a registration, consult the regulations. Good luck. Definately plenty of opportunities out there.

5. saltducking

saltducking Senior Refuge Member

Kodiak is awesome!!!! I lived there for six years and miss it all of the time. From the shore you can shoot harlequin,Old squaw,scoters,goldeneye and your puddlers.

6. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Was just up there in November. Deer hunting is some of the best and funnest i've ever done, and i've hunted over a dozen states. Plus, the meat rivals an Iowa whitetail for flavor, well...very close. I've known lots of people who have lived in Kodiak and the hunting around town(the road system) can get tough for quality. Heres some pics of deer, we also killed some ducks, but only hunted 1/2 day for them.

[​IMG]

this is a damn fine deer for the species.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Wingnutcg

Wingnutcg Refuge Member

The duck hunting here really sucks!! JK I have been here the last three years and have enjoyed the hunting. A boat is a must!!!! I hunted out of a 14' flat bottom jon boat in the bays and did great. As far as species, haliquins, old squaw, golden eyes (both), scaup, scoters, are everywhere. Mallards can be found on the salt early and late in the season. Widgeon, teal, pintails, can be found on some fresh water early, but it takes some searching to find them. Eiders are around but you have to be farther out to get into them.

8. saltducking

saltducking Senior Refuge Member

Good thing Kristie is in one of those pictures to make up for couple those ugly mugs. Nice trip!!!!!!
    Take care brother