Thinking of Relocating

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by Topduck, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Topduck

Topduck Senior Refuge Member

Hey fellas

My girl and I are looking to move to Madison Wisconsin, or somewhere around Boulder or Denver.

I'm curious how the hunting is out there. I'm mostly a waterfowler, but I could get into anything with wings or fur. I'm a young guy so I dont have alot of resources so I mainly concentrate on small waters or streams I could hunt with a canoe or small boat.

So, is central CO a place I should look into in a hunting opportunity sense?

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Madison!

I'm a Badger, that'd be my choice of your 3, at least for hunting. While there is a ton of public land in CO, most of it is in the form of BLM and National Forest so better suited for big game. Most of the good waterfowling is private, and of the private, the vast majority is leased - there are very few (all right, none) opportunities to knock on a door and hunt good private property. That said, there are some good opportunities on public once you learn the lay of the land and if you are flexible with your hunting schedule.

There are several waterfowl clubs, some better than others, that present better opportunities than public without the high cost of leasing.

Good luck with your decision.

3. Topduck

Topduck Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for your input!

We arent looking to move til 2013, but we are getting the short list together. Madison looks on par at least for beer too, although you guys out there make some fine brews.

Anyone else have anything? I can use all the info I can get.

4. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

After Nov 1 most waters are iced over for boating. Fly Fishing is good here. Beer, I believe I read a while back Colorado tops the country with more micro breweries per capita.