Thinking of Remi ...

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Cappy_TX, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

Even though she passed in June of 2016, I'm still in mourning when I come across a pic like this one. Her reaction here was when I asked, "Which one of you retrieved the most ducks this morning?"

Cap-Mommy, Remi laughing.jpg

callinfowl and Constructeur like this.
  2. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

It's never easy. R.I.P Remi

3. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Great picture and pretty darn good hunt. Be glad you've got the memories.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Cappy, I lost my old11 yr old black girl in 2000, I honestly don't think the mourning will ever pass to some degree. Now my old yellow man is almost 14 yrs old and he's having a hard time getting up this days but he still greets my wife and myself at the door every day. He also still gets excited when he see's me loading my gear, pick up the bumper or hears the words, are you hungry? yeah stupid question to ask a Lab.:l
    I'm dreading the day and I know it's not too far away now, but it's one of those things you just can not prepair for.
    The only thing that keeps me going is the awesome memories.
    Man these dogs sure got us wrapped around there little toe.:yes
    Hang in there, I truely wish I could say the pain goes away, I do believe that the good ones stick with us forever.......at least I hope they do! :tu

By the way sweet hunt, and I love your little dog wash down station, great idea!

5. Cappy_TX

Thanks for those kind words, callinfowl. Lord willing, I'll be 76 next month and have owned nine gun dogs in my 60+ years of hunting upland and waterfowl. Look at the fingers on your hands ... my pups were just like that. Each as different as can be but worked just great as a group. I usually started a new pup when the older dog got to be around 6 or so. Made teaching/training and living together much easier. Since I lost my last two Labs in 2012 and 2016. They were my pride and joy over the years. We now have an 8 year old Hunting Labradoodle who has been a delight to us as a waterfowl retriever and a family member at home. The good Lord blessed me with pointing breeds and duck dogs that were very trainable and best buddies too.

When I turned early 60, I realized that my back wasn't as strong as it used to be so I devised an elevated wash stand about 30" off the ground using a "neo-angle" shower base up on several courses of landscape blocks. When we designed and built out home I ran both hot and cold water lines to a freezeless hose bibb in the garage on an exterior wall next to where the stand would go. I ran a drain line 18" deep from the underside of the shower base well out into the yard to disburse water away from the house. Here's Rusty the Labradoodle with Cappy the Lab getting a post-hunt wash down in freezing weather with 90 degree water! Cappy-Remi-Rusty Kiss.jpg

6. Cappy_TX

And just in case you still may have a question about can Labradoodles really fetch waterfowl ... Rusty Crip Honker.jpg