This is a big turtle.

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Kevin Burroughs, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2018
  2. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

That is a Hogsnapper.

I used to set trotline hooks with live bluegills as a kid in Ohio.
    I sold ever snapper I could catch to local restaurants for the delicious soups.
    Fifty pounds was the biggest I ever caught (but I did see a couple that were bigger). When I cleaned that turtle it had a bunch of 22 slugs embedded in its shell. We did not have the Alligator Snappers. A fifty pound, regular Snapper can snap a broomstick handle.
    I found out the power of a Snapper bite once. I was setting a number one longspring trap in an underwater Muskrat hole. I pulled up my sleave and reached underwater to find the best place for the trap and it felt like I grabbed a a live 120 volt wire. I yanked my hand up and one of my fingers was dangling and pouring out blood. Doctor stitched it back. Damn Snapper had backed into the hole and was laying in ambush. Lucky I did not lose the finger.

4. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Pic added for newsletter inclusion
    big turtle.jpg

5. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

Glad to hear they released it. That is a really old turtle.

6. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

I used to see quite a few that size and some I think may have been bigger way back when when I was a kid like 65 years ago. I do not know how many times I would pull up a stringer of fish to only find a stringer full of fish heads it did not take long for a snapper that big eat all of the good parts of the fish on a stringer.
    Many times while going down the lake with a boat we would steer out of the way thinking it was the end of a log stick up only to have it go down when we got close. It would be a big snapper floating out in deep water in the center of the lake.

I had the old school Dacron line striped off of my old casting reels a few times by snappers.