THIS....is a test!

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by takemrarely, Sep 16, 2018.

1. takemrarely

takemrarely Elite Refuge Member

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration will send a message to all U.S. cellphones on Thursday to test a previously unused alert system that aims to warn the public about national emergencies.

The messages will bear the headline "Presidential Alert", the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said in a statement this week. Phones will make a loud tone and have a special vibration, said FEMA, which will send the alert.

The test message, scheduled for 2:18 p.m. EDT on Thursday, will read: "THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed."

The test has been scheduled to ensure that the alert system would work in the event of a national emergency. U.S. cellphone users will not be able to opt out.

Former President Barack Obama signed a law in 2016 requiring FEMA to create a system allowing the president to send cellphone alerts regarding public safety emergencies.

Since the wireless emergency alert system began in 2012, it has issued over 36,000 alerts for situations such as missing children, extreme weather and natural disasters, but never a presidential directive. Cell phone users can opt out of natural disaster or missing children alerts.

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Schumer will call it a blatant intrusion into the lives of private citizens and demand an investigation.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Imagine Schumer leading the charge to wipe out an Obama initiative. :l

4. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I hope Trump doesn't know something we don't! :z :)

What could possibly go wrong?

The last place you'd want to be is in a storm drain! :yes:fp

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    The Other David likes this.
  5. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

6. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

7. takemrarely

takemrarely Elite Refuge Member

You guys must have Verizon...….

API likes this.
  8. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

I get Amber Alerts when kids go missing and Silver Alerts when old people go missing... Now one more thing to make my phone freak out? Great. Just great... :doh

9. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

The alerts are at times annoying but the amber alerts have resulted in many a child being found quickly and returned safe.

If you don't want them go without a cell phone. We have our granddaughter and school closures are nice to be made aware of, code red alerts as well, for tornado warnings. MIL phone went off in the country alerting her to a tornado close by. More positive than negative with them

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My ONLY issue with them is this...

With the Amber Alerts, Silver Alerts, etc, you can bypass the phone making noise (in silent mode it just vibrates). The way I read it, with this presidential one, there is no way to override it making your phone scream. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.