This Months DU Mag...

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by Kimmie, Mar 5, 2003.

1. PJB3

PJB3 Elite Refuge Member

Hey Roxy
    How did you get to be a star? Did they contact you or the other way around?
    Whats the story?

2. Roxy

Roxy Refuge Member<br>DU Covergirl<br>March/April 2003

Star, that's funny...:l Gary Koehler, the writer hunted with our crew about 2 years ago and ran an article in this last November issue, I'm in there with my dad, John Affolter, and Don Guthrie (maker of Columbia river decoys). Gary was doing and article on the Columbia Basin duck hunting and the history behind Astoria/Brownsmead and the decoys carvers. John Affolter is a well known collector of antique fishing and hunting stuff...So, I believe Gary found John from a collector in Tennessee and was invited out to stay and hunt with us...so, I got to know Gary from our hunt and then he called this last summer saying he wanted to do an article on women and duckhunting since DU had never done an article like it before and he knew some other ladies that he wanted to talk with and asked me if I would like to be part of it as a view from a younger generation...I felt very honored as I know there are many women that duck hunt and have been doing it longer than I have...I actually got a kick out of reading about the other women in the article more than anything, they are AMAZING! I hope I get to meet Ellie Sharp someday soon. Basically, I was in the right place at the right time and got lucky!:sp I almost feel bad about it...all these women on this site should be in it!! We should do our own article of the women of waterfowl and Refuge...:l :sp :D

3. PJB3

PJB3 Elite Refuge Member

ROXY
    empty your PM's

4. Roxy

I did this morning...I didn't know there was a limit...:)

5. Daisyduck

Daisyduck Elite Refuge Member

Roxy that is a cool story! I loved all the stories in there! I am glad that they did the article!

6. TOLLER

TOLLER Elite Refuge Member

Lady's,
    Thanks for the GREAT DU this month. I was just looking to see if anyone posted any comments on this..
    I've been trying to get my wife out with me for the last 7 seasons and she thought I was NUTS. She kept saying NO WAY, not happening. "A Lady does not do what you do". I keep telling here its good "quality" time. I bonded hunting with my Father and learned many things by spending the time with him.
    Here on LI I can not say I've ever seen a woman hunting and I couldn't convince her. My wife and I do everything together, we even work together, everything except hunting. That's not to say a little boy bonding isn't good fun, but there have been times when it would have been cool for her to experience a great retrieve or a great sunrise.
    Well, let me just tell you.. When I got this months DU I literally ran it to my wife and said LOOK, SHE'S A LADY.:D My wife actually read the article and said "she'd consider it" for next season.
    Thanks Roxy and the other lady's. I hope you just found me the best hunting partner I could ask for!
    Be well and happy hunting!
    Terry

7. Roxy

I think you're awesome for not giving up on the possibility of your wife hunting with you and for calling her the best hunting partner ever! Good for you for knowing what you have:sp I hope she gives it a shot this next season.

8. LndShrk

LndShrk Moderator Boats Blinds Gadgits Moderator

TOLLER,

Get her a camera if she does not want to shoot.. My wife likes to go along to take pictures of her boys getting birds... Last year my mom asked her you like to go out there? My wife say's I only like to go when he is going to shoot something.. :l :l :l :l I guess I took her on one to many scouting trips.. hehe :D

9. TOLLER

TOLLER Elite Refuge Member

Wow, Roxy thinks I’M awesome, I think I just blushed.:D
    I told my wife I posted up last night and brought up the subject again and I got a “We’ll see” with a smirk. That means I’m in like flynn! Pretty cool. I mean, it makes perfect sense. If your wife or husband is your best friend why not share something that one really values? I hear some guys say they will just argue about money or kids or something else. In my opinion, that’s sad.
    A few years ago my wife got into Yoga so I took a Yoga class with her and nearly blew out a knee and almost killed myself (which I’m still laughed at for today) so why not get out in the marsh together? It is a tough sale though, when your spouse had absolutely no exposure to hunting prior to meeting you and is not one who likes to romp in the mud nor kill things.
    Having said that I will take LndShrk up on his suggestion of taking a camera and I might even leave the gun home for the day. I normally bring a camera anyway as I love to photograph my Toller in action. He’s my other buddy!
    Once again, thanks for shedding some light on the women in waterfowl.
    P.S.- Does Jones NY have a camo line??;)

10. DuckCommandress

DuckCommandress Elite Refuge Member

The family that hunts together, stays together!

Way to go Toller!:sp :sp :sp