This Week's Sr High S/S question???

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Sinkbox<><, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Sinkbox<><

Sinkbox<>< Senior Refuge Member

Is there a difference between "the soul" and "the spirit" (from the Bible's perspective)? If so, what is the difference between them.

Most of this group felt they were "basically" one in the same. :yes :no :confused:

Thoughts?:z
    Sinkbox <><

2. 3.5gold

3.5gold Senior Refuge Member

IMHO, and not based anything Scriptural, is that the soul is the foundation of our being. It is what gives us knowledge of our self. In distinction, animals have no soul or knowledge of self.

Our spirit is the outward manifestaion of our souls.

3. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

The soul is our self, our personality, our individuality. The spirit is our essential being. It is what we are behind this veil of flesh.

4. QuakKillz

QuakKillz Senior Refuge Member

great question sinkbox!!!, I'd have to study to get the Biblical perspective, but as a Youth Minister/Director, I can see how teenagers would answer that way.

As far as an opinion/answer without studying, I would have to agree with 3.5gold....

5. stubble hunter

stubble hunter Senior Refuge Member

I never really thought about that question much. I would like to see some scripture references for the stated positions.

6. onionhead

onionhead Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." Genesis 2

"And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit." 1 Corinthians 15

7. 3.5gold

Ok....whats the difference? As a human bean, we can be identified with "the first Adam" as a "living soul". As a Christian, we can be identified with Christ as a "quickening spirit". Are they the same...different? Are we one before and another after? Playing high school student here.:l

I'm afraid to ask the question of whether or not Jesus had a soul.:eek:

8. onionhead

onionhead Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." Genesis 2

"And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit." 1 Corinthians 15

The difference is in interpretation. Look at "man became a living soul" and "was made a living soul" - tradition interprets/says that man has a soul, scripture says that man is a soul.

9. 3.5gold

Ok...got that. What is our spirit?

10. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I was taught (and I can find some scripture to back this up, I think) that the Hebrew definition of the human was a 3 fold being

The body - the flesh, the dust, the earth
    The soul - that which makes us alive (meaning that animals and plants also have a soul)
    The spirit - the "God-like" portion of us, the part that goes to God when we die (I am being positive here, not all spirits will make that trip).

Part of the basis for this is John 4:24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

Can't worship the Lord in spirit if we don't have one.