This yrs sprig spread

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by thekillerofmallard, Oct 2, 2017.

1. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

I agree but it is what it is. FD 300 limit was a good thing we tried running small one year against those big spreads didn't work for crap.

Anyway time to go meet Seaters for probably our last salmon trip to HMB for the season.
    Hey Ben how many rods did you take with ya when you were on the bass tour. One is enough:l:l:joker:joker

freefall and fishdog like this.
  2. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

Still ready to buy the 50 you aren't going to use.

Dandy

3. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

In Saskatchewan Canada now. Had at least 2,000 pintails flying around a harvested barley field this morning. Put out the full spread, you will not regret it. ;) BTW, killed our 4 each in two volleys. We killed our 40 ducks in 45 minutes. Had to not shoot several flocks of 200+ trying to find mallards.
    Tom B.

Flyfisher likes this.
  4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Are you in the N Battleford area ?

5. Everydaysdiff

Everydaysdiff Refuge Member

What outfitter/guide are you with or freelancing?

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Hunted a couple times with Take'm outfitters ! I went north from there , later .

7. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Combo deal. Some outfitter some freelance and with cousins. The above shoot was outfit. Eastside of province this year toward Yorkton. Lots of mile on rental scouting.
    Tom B.

8. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

You're exactly correct about the sprig decoys - when set to one side of the mass, they act almost as a confidence decoy so little calling is needed.

Perhaps it's their white patches in contrast to their other fletching that makes them excellent counterfeits for a spread, but even when you're using Canada "stuffers" - the visible sprigs have a place in almost every set.

However, I remain unsure about their usefulness when hunting "...the highly touted storm widgeon."

BTW - One day when hunting a nearly-frozen river that flowed beside our house, my two youngest male sports were instructed to "..put a sack of decoys in the boat." The bag they grabbed contained 1 doz. magnum sprig/pintails with heavy open-water weights. Our hunt lasted less than 1 hr. and I blew the call just twice...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017