Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Thoughts and Questions for Those With The Disease

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, Mar 9, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

Looking back on the crazy migration the last two springs We primarily hunt northeast Kansas and

2. Gussleyer

Gussleyer Refuge Member Sponsor

I'm gonna start hunting the first two weeks of February, in my shorts and tennis shoes, with the heaters left in storage and not in the pit. I know people will say that next year will be normal but I think we all know what normal is going to be for the conservation order. Don't expect snow storms and snow lines anymore.

3. marshmob

Sorry hit enter a little to quick on the original post...anyways on with the post

For those that hunt Kansas and Missouri the last two springs have been fast and difficult to say the least. I know for us, we have gone to hunting 5-7 days straight due to weather and all of life's other commitments. Overall I'd say this has increased our success but has also made for one short burst of hunting vs springs gone past where we hit them on and off for a month. So with that, what is it that makes most of us loose our minds over these birds???

We put out hundreds of decoys vs dozens, sleep is non existent, mud to frozen ground in a matter of hours, the battle with ecallers, rotaries, flappers, and any other contraption we can get our hand on. The non stop looking at our weather apps, bird counts, trolling the net to see who's posting where the birds are, bickering over fb's vs socks, loud sounds vs quiet, make a pile vs get em close and look at their toe nails before calling the shot!!!!!! Well we know this part could go on and on.

BUT when it comes down to it, when were in the field, waiting for the sun to rise.....it's the anticipation. Are the birds still here or did they take that south wind out, will there be young birds falling out and bringing the smart birds with em, will we get a tornado right after light, maybe today we will get a band, maybe we will see massive numbers of new and hungry birds, maybe we will get a feed that rolls over and keeps low to drop into the spread, maybe we will get birds crawling up the spread and lining up just right over the hole????? No matter what if or maybe we have, the sight of white birds floating above with blue sky and the sun above is absolutely the best show in waterfowling. So while many think we have issues, which we do, those that put in the work and effort know exactly why we are out there!

4. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

Excellent post!
    I'm still waiting for them to show up here in SE Alberta.
    Decoys are in the truck along with layout and clothing.
    When they finally show up I just need to grab the shotgun and a bunch of shells.
    Hopefully this will be the year they don't overfly my area!
    Still learning the ropes as this is only our 3rd season in Alberta.
    White Devil Disease has struck!

5. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

One of the best posts I've ever seen on here.. How very true it is a Disease that can take over your life and make you do crazy things. These birds have made me do some crazy stuff. Just last year we moved from Madison, WI to south dakota leaving family, friends and everything else. I'm 54 now and have been chasing the demons for 30 plus years now. Man how things have changed but I would give up ONE minute of the ride.

6. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

This feels like an AA thread (no experience there but just say'n). My name is Dave and yes, by god, I am addicted to those white som-beaches!!!!!

Vacation time. Take it in what combination of days, weeks or in conjunction with weekends? Feb, Mar.....when will it start? When will it end? Coordinate with others or just pick dates and roll? NW wind or SW wind or does it really matter as long as you have wind? Sunny, cloudy? Dog or no dog? Water, bottom, field top? Traffic or chase? To Rotary or not to Rotary? Dry field, wet field? First light? Mid day, late day? Break for breakfast, break for lunch? Cocktails in the evening to ease the pain or water/Gatorade to hydrate and prevent cramping and additional pain?

We stayed put and ran traffic this Spring. Some good days combined with some not so good days. As I have said for several years now takes an average of about 3 days of hunting hard to get one good day. It has bee very erratic so we tend to combine a few vacation days with weekends in hopes of catching them when they are "here".

I'm exhausted.......until next year!!!!

7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I hunt mostly Arkansas, a little in IL. The birds moved through Central AR so fast it was ridiculous. Birds were acting goofy before we ever started getting after them. I have two spots that border large refuges, and hunting over the years has been consistently good. by the second week of February this year , there were very few birds using these areas. the birds that were around, were very skittish. they would hit a field, and then only feed to one to two hours, then fly to another field, and another, then another. they'd hit 5 or six fields a day, ...unmolested. Just when you thought you could get under them, they'd be gone.

Most of our days started with very little wind. By midday, the wind would start, and we would get our hopes up. We'd decoy flocks of 100+ specks, but barely get a look from SOB's. We'd scratch a few singles, but not many tornados. Even Ross geese proved difficult.

I went back to hunting without rotators, and used pole kites instead. Also went back to goose magnets when wind would allow. That **** always keeps you guessing...too much movement,... not enough,..who knows? We hunted pit blinds, whites, and natural cover with no real difference in success.

I got a new Juvie caller, but did not have a chance to use it. tried about 10 different tracks with no real difference in success. Seemed like they responded to callers turned up louder than normal ( i normally keep callers med/med low).

Juvie seems like a good kid, and I had a couple of nice conversations with him, and a couple of good conversations with Randy Bartz at Flagman. its funny how chasing these stupid birds brings people together.

8. marshmob

Bullpinnie is dead one with these birds bringing people together. Typically waterfowlers ,myself included, would not dream of saying what hemisphere we hunt in BUT these birds must have us talking and sharing a little info. Maybe were subconsciously seeking group support so we look for others to justify our own irrational behaviors each spring. Which again, I'll include myself in.

9. kansasgoose

kansasgoose Senior Refuge Member

Kansas is listening to the guys in the center of the state, and going to push back the CO too the 19th next year, it opened on the 13th this year. This is because there are so many more Canada goose hunters, and they want the regular season as long as possible and don't care about snow geese. As you know, being in the NE part of the state, the majority of the snow geese recently are here by the first of February, and our larger canada geese are paired up and in the city parks by February. I think what we need is to split the state goose seasons north too south, maybe along highway 99. Let those in the center of the state with lesser Canadas hunt the entire month of February if they want, but then allow the eastern side to start hunting snows with an Ecaller by at least the first of February, maybe even January 15. They split the state for ducks, why not geese too! This would give us that month of snow goose hunting that were here in the NE are (were) use too.

10. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

It's pretty simple, they are addictive like crack cocaine, same color too, lol.

We all know how screwed up California is politically and most of the people who live here but one thing I love is the fact that we cant use ecallers here. We don't have a CO season, we have a short 5 day extended season in the Sacramento Valley for specs and snows and I could only imagine the chaos if ecallers were legal