Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Thoughts and Questions for Those With The Disease

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

Bullpinnie, I wonder if groceries were in short supply so they were hoping fields trying to find some. Every year is a new adventure besides if they were easy everyone would chase them.

2. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Well I had to drag this thread up again because for us in the Midwest it’s almost time and the decease is in full swing AGAIN!!! Between Rogers constantly sending me white devil adds for decs, hearing some at night, text from my brother and from buddy that farms where we hunt, I am starting to loose it. While our duck split is open til Sunday and honkers til Feb 18th, I’m finding myself researching snows while in the blind. At work, I start to daydream about seasons past and groups bowed up and coming down like their on an elevator.

To try and hold myself over I’m grabbing a new e-caller from Juvie. He’s got me sold on the wireless on/off switch. Definitely something I can live without right .

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

It seems like the spring geese prefer cut or disced bean fields,.... or sometimes winter wheat. I don't think they're feeding on wast grains, but , more typically they are feeding on green sprout in the fields. If you cut them open in the spring, they are almost always full of green stuff. later in the season , they full of green, but also bugs and worms.

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Rogers does suck with all their snow goose propaganda emails. :yes They just got me to buy another case of ammo. :l Decoying spring snow geese is God's greatest gift to me.

5. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

6. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

I really enjoy hunting these white geese. They’re a challenge like no other waterfowl. I enjoy the days I fool them and have success with the understanding there will be a lot of days, more often than not, where their wariness will win out.

We killed a handful of birds on our last hunt but they were all feet down and finished. Made the hunt for sure.

mouthcallinmatt likes this.
  7. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

The mayhem starts in Kansas Monday. No birds really around BUT I’m trying to convince a couple buddies it’s a great idea to set a spread at 3am, hunt til 3pm, pick up and be out of the field by 6pm and go to work the next day.

8. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

I don't know that it's a disease, but it is definitely an addiction. I really have a lot of work to do, but forget that nonsense, instead I'm looking for migration information on the web. This time of year, so glad to be self-employed. So.. I'm out of here. Going to go set the spread right now in anticipation of what might be heading our way!

9. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Dead on bullpinnie. So far our best hunts in Ark have been green sprouts in soybean fields.

10. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

Seems like the migration may be slower then last year. Temps in SD through March 2nd do not warm up. Some snow in the picture. I hate drilling holes in the dirt!!!!!! I hope I can hunt them into April!!!