Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Thoughts and Questions for Those With The Disease

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, Mar 9, 2017.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Good luck to all those in Midwest. Hunted one day of our late season - got permission but farmer wanted geese out of his alfalfa, decoys were a no no, so it was a fun pass shoot. Shot 29 for two of us by 10 am as had to head home, son had to work. It probably was a short lived respite for his alfalfa as when we headed by on our way home, only a couple hundred in the field versus originally a feed of 5,000 plus. they all came at once at sunset versus prior morning were coming in groups of 20.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  2. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

I think the migration will be longer/slower than last year. My worst nightmare happened again last year as the White Devils flew many thousands of feet above my region again. This year, there is plenty of snow on the ground, the snow line itself is a fair piece South of the border and it is forecast to be a slower thaw this Spring. In Southern Alberta that often translates into the Snows being in the area for a number of days. At least that has been the pattern over the years. (I have been watching the Snow migration for many more seasons than we could hunt them, knowing it would happen in Alberta eventually)
    My son's FIL farms/ranches in Southern Alberta, peas mostly! He isn't a hunter himself but has indicated that when the stars line up like they seem to be doing this year, his fields are covered in Snow Geese for several days to a couple of weeks! Guess who his first call will be too!
    Season here opens March 15th, I'm ready to rock.

3. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Back to the original question of why we do it......for views like this is a good start
    C98C61FA-080E-4AC7-8EC4-EBB24AF5BDFC.jpeg 828878CF-C488-4648-8A9D-EC34A832D4AE.jpeg

Ducker 4 Ever and snipe n like this.