Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Thoughts on Silhouettes for Snow Geese

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by QuinnNadu, Dec 5, 2016.

1. QuinnNadu

QuinnNadu Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Been using silos for Canada geese for awhile now and really like them. I am getting more into Snow goose hunting and wanted to see what everyone's opinions were on using silhouettes for them. Just the standard 2d screen printed ones.

2. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

They might be part of a spread but I wouldn't have them as the bulk of my spread. They also might be a good add around the layout blinds if you use them

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

They are a handy way to fill in a spread of socks, and they add "movement" by the way the birds see them in flight, so on windless days, they may work better than socks to pull the birds in. I bought mine on sale for $2.00 a piece, so I have 120 that I can quickly add to my spread. Don't take up a lot of room and quick to put out. Good for running and gunning. I also use them around the blinds to hide us better. In a typical setup I may put out 240 to 300 socks and 120 silos and 6 or 8 flyers.

4. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Good filler

5. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

IMO, if you already had them, I'd say put them out. If you have to buy them, I'd say buy windsocks.

6. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I'd say run em. They can only help. I know allot of guys don't like sillo's for snow geese but most of those guys have never used them for snow geese. I've spent my fair share of time snow goose hunting and I've seen allot of decoy spreads. Everybody is running 800-1500 socks with 2-3 rotary's. When the pressure gets high a spread of 1000 sillo's would be different then any other spread those birds have seen.

I have socks myself, but I'm going to make my own silhouettes this year. They're not going to be screen prints, but I've made my own canadas and they're cheap.

7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

I used them and didn't much like them. The snow geese approach a spread differently than Canada's and I feel like with the vertical approach they don't see them like Canada's do. YRMV.

8. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

I would love to have about 50/50 socks and silos snow spread for up in Canada. Usually up there birds come in low and are first pass birds. Spring birds that work straight down and makes multiple passes not so much.

For our dark goose spread up in Canada we use 8 dozen RG2s and 6 dozen silosocks. They really complement each other. The silos take away the "toy solider" look of the socks and the socks give a 3D look from above. IMO it looks as good as any fullbody set and it only takes the space if 6 fullbodies.

9. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

I always think that Snow geese fly too high to make silos overly effective vs. Canada geese which move around at about half the height as snow geese and thus the silos are much more visible and effective.

10. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

Eaglehead (outfitter) runs a straight silo spread and does very well over them. If your going to do it, do it right and run Pro 2 Real Geese.