Threw Hail Mary this Morning

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Drake Decimator, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Drake Decimator

Drake Decimator Senior Refuge Member

But like most desperate scoring attempts, it did not work. Ice eater had hole opened by 8 am, dekes out but zippo in the air. I was hoping for last escapees from the polar vortex that has descended, but no such luck. I'm sure tomorrow afternoon would be better, but this was my last shot until possibly mid JAN. So I tried, dressed for the weather, but everything was sitting tight like I should have been. Any other fools out there get out today?

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Was out there yesterday AM....7 degrees....cut a hole in the ice and waited. At 8:30 I'd seen one bird, a merganser at 50 yards, my toes were frozen, and I picked up. Drove around the place, saw two crippled Canadas sitting on the ice, and some hawks.
    Looks like it's over until the end of January.

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I saw some bird Xmas day. Broke a hole open and I was super excited. Never fired a shot.

4. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

Ice eater had a 30 x 20 yd hole open by 2 this afternoon. Had hundreds of geese and ducks go over but nothing would break down and cooperate. Seems they have their pattern down and this is a traffic pond. Trying again in the morning so hopefully they get up if we have some cloud cover.

5. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

Funny how age/wisdom (mostly age) changes our drive to fight the artic vortex to kill a few mallard.

Last Sunday, my marshes began to ice over and we divided up to improve our chances. Half the group set up an ice eater in the main marsh and proceeded to shoot 3 ducks (1 can, 1 ringer, 1 GH). The other half hunkered down along the river and harvested 1 GH, 1 Gaddy, 1 teal.

Normally, my “crew” banters back and forth via text/email, during the week about scouting reports and hall passes, making plans for the next duck excursion. .. Granted this week, all are busy with holiday and family, but the wires have been dead dog quiet…. 8 degree overnight temps, plus poor duck reports will do that.

Might try this weekend -

6. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Shoot, I’m showing a high of 10 Sunday with a low of -6. Not much water will survive the high temp not breaking 12 for 3 days straight. Ugh!

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, not cause for optimism, is it.....

8. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Found open water today on the river. Also found thousands of mallards on a sand pit that is unhuntable. The two are 11 miles apart.

9. Marshwalker

Marshwalker Senior Refuge Member

Tulemam.. There is more places to hunt than CB.. you could drive 15min east and access the river. There is plenty birds on it right now.. that would take some scouting though

10. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

I'm sure tule knows about the river. Probably better than you.