Tightrope vs TPLO

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by river_city_dogs, Jul 25, 2017.

1. river_city_dogs

river_city_dogs Senior Refuge Member

I have an older (10+) pup with cruciate ligament issues. Surgery is definitely on the near-term horizon and I'm leaning toward a 'Tightrope' procedure vs a TPLO. Makes sense to me because she small (+/- 50 pounds), old (I'm worried about all the bone healing, etc... involved in a TPLO) and not as active as she used to be. Does anyone have experience with the Tightrope procedure (vs TPLO) and, if so, what was your (and your pup's) experience?

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

I had the tightrope done on my dog when she was a 18 months. She is 8.5 years old now. Arthritis has really set in. We thought she tore it again 2 months ago. Turned out to be a bone chip in the joint. I don't know that I would do either one on a dog that old.

3. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Did the tightrope on two 7 year old dogs. It worked fine. Both were put on glucosamine. The older one lived to 14 1/2 and was The recovery is faster and it's less invasive. I personally would always choose it on an older dog. A young dog would be different but I haven't had a young one need it. Older one lived until 14 1/2 and he used glucosamine and later metacam. The younger one will be 10 and she has no limping on extra strength glucosamine

road kill and river_city_dogs like this.