Timbren/sumosprings ?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by JohnBZ, May 14, 2018.

1. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Thinking about getting a set of those oversized bumpstops for my 2011 f250. The leaf springs are way too soft and the truck squats too much when I have my travel trailer hooked up to it. Have about 1000lb of tongue weight. I like the thought of something passive always being there and ready. I also like how little can go wrong with them. I'm not really interested in air bags. I was also looking at those torklift stable load wedges that basically lock your overload to the main spring pack and can be disengaged for daily driving. Anyone ever use any of these ?

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Why not interested in air bags? That's the best way to address your issues, and they're fairly cheap and very reliable. Nearly every big rig you see on the road rides on them.

3. JohnBZ

Honestly I don't want to deal with airing them up and down. I like the idea of a passive system that is there when I need it and out of the way when I don't need it.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Most systems include an onboard compressor; all you'd do is flip a switch in the cab to air up or down. It's a far simpler and easier setup than I think you're imagining, and will work much better than any passive system out there.

5. JohnBZ

I'm fully aware what is involved in air bags and am simply not interested.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Whatever floats your boat. Not trying to be a jerk, but my opinion on the bump stops is they're a very poor "fix" for the issues you have; simply trying to suggest an actual solution and not a band aid.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Unless the engage/disengage point on that Torklift is made out of something that won't rust I can see a lot of cussing about it down the road when you can't move it anymore. I'd try a set of overload shocks, you'd be surprised how well they work with todays technology.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

You talking about air shocks? Or the ones with coil springs? Those do work pretty well, but will still stiffen up the ride even unloaded. That's the big benefit of air bags; they don't affect the ride at all until you tell them too. Better shocks may be a good upgrade as well though.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

The coil over shocks, they are lot better than they used to be with very good metering capabilities from the shocks. They've designed them now to compensate and adjust for different loads on the vehicle.

tcc likes this.
  10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

They do work well, but it's almost guaranteed they'll stiffen the ride some; you're basically adding an overload spring it's just a coil instead of a leaf. Not saying it won't work, it may work great for him if he's ok with it being stiffer when unloaded.
    I need to get some for my truck, it's starting to sag a bit in the rear.