Time for New Tires

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by 10gaBBB, Aug 22, 2018.

1. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Senior Refuge Member

Retired on a fixed income = tires ARE a big decision. Have 275 60R20s on a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500. I pull a 7x14 trailer and deal with gravel, mud and snow Fall through Spring.
    Ive been looking at the BFG AT TA KOs.
    Anyone running these in that size? How is the performence or have a better recommendation?

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

That's a pretty popular tire and gets good reviews; size shouldn't affect that.

3. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I have probably had 12 sets of those and the earlier version and they were great. Do rotate them regularly!! I’d get them in the fall so I’d get two winter seasons out of them with good tread, by the second fall I’d need a new set. I’d surprisingly get close to 50k miles out of them.

Discount Tire runs a Labor Day sale that’d be worthwhile if one is convenient. https://www.discounttire.com/promotions/labor-day

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

They hold up well. Rotate often, and they stay even (no cupping). Great off-road traction for ATs. Not as great on-road traction, IMO, than the other ATs I’ve ran over the years.

take'm likes this.
  5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I’ve been thinking ( since 2003,ha) on getting a set of junk yard rims off my model truck and having a set of semi agressive tread winter hunting tires and a set of plain thread spring and summer tires that work better on the beach. One way or the other do your research and you can save some $$.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  6. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I’m running Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s. They are a pretty solid tire. My next set I’ll be looking hard at the new Cooper At3’s they just came out with.

Vammy likes this.
  7. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

Interco IROK ND

8. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Toyo A/T Open Country Xtreme
    I have over 50k miles on mine, with a good 1/4 tread left. My buddy just replaced his with 80k miles on them.

9. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

I have Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on my '99 Tahoe; over 50k on them, but they are shot...I'll replace them with Nitto's later this month.

My '16 Ram 2500 is currently wearing the Toyo open Country A/T II because I couldn't find Nitto's in the right size when I needed tires; 24k on them so far, I'm pretty sure I'll get 50k out them at the rate they're wearing.

I believe Toyo and Nitto are made in the same factory/owned by the same company?

10. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

I'm not sure if they are. The guy I buy my tires from pushes Toyo's pretty hard. I was going to get the Nitto's, but he steered me towards the Toyo's.
    BTW, my buddy and I both drive 1500 series, not eating them up as fast as your 2500.