Time to lube those choke tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Jan 30, 2018.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Many folks here probably hunted in the rain the last two weeks of the season. As you sat there, barrel pointed skyward raindrops were landing on and travelling down the seam between your barrel and screw in choke. Now is the time to unscrew your choke tube and lube it and the barrel threads.
    I highly recommend using the silver Permatex Anti Seize. You can buy it at NAPA stores part #765-1151. This is great stuff I use it on all automotive, small engine, and marine projects.
    Do it now so we will not see the threads every Fall, "My choke tube is stuck"

2. wildfowl4444

wildfowl4444 Elite Refuge Member

You are no fun at all!

I love seeing all the posts in the Fall from people who have not touched their shotgun in months and realize that a pinch of prevention in January/February would have saved them a ton of work, time, and $ in September/October.

Here is another tip to 'those folks': switch to extended choke tubes! It makes it a bunch easier to put a pipe wrench on those choke tubes to get them out when they are stuck

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I hunt the salt all season and have 2 guns with stuck tubes and literally no chance of getting the tubes out. Lesson learned the hard way. Tubes are now checked everyday before and after the hunt. I've been using fluid film on the threads since I discovered how well it holds up to saltwater on the outside of my gun.

wildfowl4444 likes this.
  4. gnpnast

gnpnast Senior Refuge Member

Did all of mine today. Boring in WI in Jan !

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Vahunter and Tuleman like this.
  6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Do it once.... Anti sieze works on spark plugs that have gone through thousands of heat cycles and probably many rain storms/car washes.

I'm not aware of it washing out?

7. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

I use the Birchwood Casey choke tube lube also and it works great. A tube will last you for years!

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Another fan of BC Choke Tube Lube here! I finally used the last of the tube this summer after I don't know how many years....

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

A good reason the buy the Permatex silver Anti-Seize is that a small container will also last you many years and you can use it on all kinds of nuts and bolts on any equipment you work on.
    It is a very high quality and versatile product.

H20Dawg likes this.
  10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Agreed! No need to buy a specialty grease. This stuff works great on most everything.