Time to lube those choke tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Jan 30, 2018.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I am not at all concerned about the semantics. If you are you might want to do a search on anal retentive lube which certainly must be a specialty grease.
    I just know from many years of use Permatex Silver Ant-iseize works on every application I need. I repair and service many kinds of equipment.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

It's simple really, when I take my tubes out of a gun I clean them and get all the old lube off when I put them in a gun I put a little dab of grease on them, I do change out in the field quite often as many of my loads are choke specific when it comes to shot size.
    Being the nice guy I am also I let people hunting with me use it if they need to change out tubes in the field.:D

buck_master_2001 likes this.
  3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

That’s the difference then. I kind of understand if you swap chokesnout in the field. Even then, living the internal threads in the gun would be sufficient enough sonas not to have to mess with it in the field. A gun has to sit for a while to accumulate the rest and what not to seize it in place.

I shoot one choke and one choke only for everything that’s why I was kind of wondering what was going on with that.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I hear ya.
    I've been collecting choke tubes for around 20 years now and unfortunately I've become extremely picky as to what tube works with what load in what gun, probably have enough money in tubes to buy a few really nice shotguns !!

buck_master_2001 likes this.
  5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I remove my choke tube after every volley of birds that come in ( about 2 or 3 shots) and re-lube it with Triple A Anal Retentive All Purpose, All Natural Lube. I never had a choke stuck in all these years. I am on my third barrel though, as I have worn out the threads on the previous 2 in about 3 years. I wonder if instead of a bead on the end of the barrel, I could just have a micro grease fitting installed? :scratch

Tuleman and Jesse Pokrzywinski like this.
  6. Jesse Pokrzywinski

Jesse Pokrzywinski Refuge Member

And as a bonus it gets on everything.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

What a great idea!! ....a tiny little Zerk fitting to replace the front bead! Then all you guys who are uber-concerned about your choke tube lubrication can give it a pump or two after every volley. You may be on to something, there, Tailfeathers.
    You and I could go into production, not only making the micro-Zerks, but manufacturing the tiny little grease guns and the tiny little cartridges of Triple A Anal Retentive All Purpose, All Natural Lube to go into the guns.
    All the guys on the two big shotgun forums will be scrambling to buy these kits...not to mention the half-dozen anal retentive guys on this forum (we'll give them a discount, of course).
    We'll make our second and third million dollars inside of a year..... then we can afford a 5-gallon pail of wheel bearing grease to lube our own choke tubes. :tu

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018