Time to Make some Duck/Goose Sausage

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by 5Woodies, May 5, 2013.

1. 5Woodies

5Woodies Elite Refuge Member

A friend of mine has invited me to bring my Sausage duck and Goose pile over to make some sausage . I found a sausage recepie that looked good called the Grizzly Island Duck Sausage by Len Poli . I am going to use this as my base recipie and vary from here to taste . I will be doing test patties with a few buddies and adjusting the reciepe if needed . I like a med - Hot Itilian sausage normally and really want to try to make some myself .
    I am also looking at this recipe >>>>
    Hunter?s Style Sausage
    These sausages would be perfect with a cassoulet, with beans, or simply pan-roasted or grilled. The possibilities are unlimited. Note that the only ingredient measured in grams is the salt ? it is that important to get the saltiness right. I did include a rougher measurement to get you close, if you don?t have a scale.

Makes about 4 pounds, or 16 sausages.

Prep Time: 90 minutes
    Cook Time: 15 minutes
    ?3 pounds duck meat or goose meat
    ?1 pound pork fat
    ?1/2 cup red wine, chilled
    ?1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
    ?2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
    ?2 teaspoons ground juniper berries
    ?2 teaspoons caraway seed
    ?1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    ?34 grams, or 2 level tablespoons, kosher salt
    ?hog casings

1.Chop the meat and fat into about 1-inch chunks, then mix all the spices together and toss with the meat and fat. Chill the meat and fat until it is almost frozen by putting it in the freezer for an hour or so.
    2.Take out some hog casings and set in a bowl of very warm water.
    3.Grind the meat and fat through your meat grinder (you can use a food processor in a pinch, but you will not get a fine texture) using the coarse die. If your room is warm, set the bowl for the ground meat into another bowl of ice to keep it cold.
    4.Add the wine and mix thoroughly either using a Kitchenaid on low for 60-90 seconds or with your (very clean) hands. This is important to get the sausage to bind properly.
    5.Stuff the sausage into the casings all at once. Twist off links by pinching the sausage down and twisting it, first in one direction, and then with the next link, the other direction. Or you could tie them off with butcher?s string.
    6.Hang the sausages in a cool place for 1 hour if it is warm out, up to overnight if you have a place that will get no warmer that 45 degrees. The longer you can hang the sausages, the better they will taste. After they have dried a bit, put in the fridge until needed. They will keep for at least a week. If you are freezing the sausages, wait a day before doing so. This will tighten up the sausages and help them keep their shape in the deep-freeze.

Anyone have a favorite to share or any advice ! Pictures to come later :tu

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Sounds good.

I did some Italian sausage this spring by soaking the chunks of meat in Italian dressing overnight, then using Italian seasoning, garlic powder and seasoning salt. Came out great.

3. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Sounds good! I've made waterfowl sausage in the past and all the non-hunters that have had it loved it.

4. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

I made goose sausage last year using a 50/50 mixture of honker breast and boneless pork roast. The herbs and spices recipe included cumin. Used Prague Powder #1 for curing salt. I smoked some of the links and froze others which from time to time I thaw out and fry in extra light olive oil. Just add a cold beer. :tu

5. 5Woodies

5Woodies Elite Refuge Member

Well after mixing spices then trying some small patties on the grill as we went . We decided on a variation of the Grizzly Island recipe with some extra garlic and spices . We had 7 total tasters and 4 people mixing . We ran out of casings so we are back at it tomorrow :doh It was nice watching the Giants complete the sweep of the Dodgers while making sausage ! Here is a pic of me in my Giants colors and my buddy Mike after we ran out of casings .

[​IMG]