Decoy Forum Sponsors

Time to Paint Some Honks

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by ARHHH4, Oct 31, 2018.

1. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

I bought some honkers from a guy off Craigslist last week and they ended up being in pretty decent shape other than some of the flocking had faded due to him leaving them out in the sun. So Monday evening i decided to try my hand at repainting them. Some before, during, and after pics are attached.

Attached Files:

2. drakenuts

drakenuts Refuge Member

Those look nice, what did you use to repaint? What exactly did you do?

3. ARHHH4

I got me some blue 3M painters tape, and went over the white cheek patches with it, and then went around the neck/ chest area a few different times to try and protect against overspray. Sprayed the flocking with a can of .97 cent black spray paint from Wal Mart, and then I got an angled artist paint brush and brushed some white paint onto the cheek patches. Sprayed the heads once and put three coats on the cheeks

4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Came out good.

For future reference you can simply reflock the heads and it's less effort. Applying one color of flocking is extremely easy. :tu:tu

Jay Mo 37 likes this.
  5. ARHHH4

I've heard it's easy....wanted to try and get em done quickly though and didn't wanna wait the few days for the flocking kit to come in. I don't have anywhere around to buy one retail within an hour or so drive.

6. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Another tip...learn to use an airbrush and that repainting the black would take you about a minute a decoy. When working with repainting flocking the airbrush is a lifesaver. :tu:tu