tips for a newby?

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by TKDGuy, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TKDGuy

TKDGuy New Member

I'm in Colorado Springs and brand new to duck/goose hunting. I would appreciate any tips anyone is willing to share. I'm thinking of going out in the next couple weeks near Pueblo or east (looking at Holbrook Res., Karval Res., Hugo SWA).

With the weather as it is now, if the lakes/ponds/reservoirs have ice on them am I likely to have any luck or not? Or should I be looking at rivers instead?

I know nobody likes to give up there spots, but I sure would appreciate any guidance anyone is willing to give.

Or if anyone wants to accompany, let me know that too!

Thanks!

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I'm surprised that this has 130 plus views and no replies at all. Well, I guess I'm not really surprised, the CO forum is mostly a ghost town since back in the day when the main forum was a little more like the wild wild west most everyone from CO got banned...

There is a forum regarding Colorado Waterfowl where you may get a bit more info, but most of the guys there are from the northern part of the state, though there a few CO Springs guys there for sure.

3. COmarshrat

COmarshrat New Member

TKDguy,
    I live in the Springs area too, and I wouldn't waste time at any of those reservoirs. You can do a drive by and see if they're still open water after tonight or if they still have ducks on them but you're far better off hunting the SWA's on the Arkansas River. And about now is when it gets good.

Bring chest waders, half a dozen decoys, some camo netting to hide either on a bank or on one of the islands in the river. You'll need heavier than normal anchors especially with ice chunks. Bring a small, low chair to sit on.

If you have a dog there are plenty of places you can set up and keep your dog out of the water and dry. If you don't have a dog, you can easily retrieve any ducks/geese you shoot. The water in most places will be knee-deep with spots along bends/banks deeper - that's why you need chest waders instead of hip boots.

Wouldn't hurt to bring a couple of goose shells to place on sand bars...geese will start using the river now too. You can have some good shooting and it's pretty quiet out that way at this time of year. Good luck!!

4. spaightlabs

Thanks for helping out a new waterfowl out Marshrat! We all learned from someone and it seems as though people are slow in remembering that a lot of the time.

5. TKDGuy

TKDGuy New Member

Thank you both very much for the replies. I was starting the think the same thing about the reservoirs vs. the river, so started looking at Rocky Ford SWA. I'm thinking Pueblo SWA will likely be crowded. I do have waders! I'll probably be down there next week between Christmas and New Years. Thanks again for the tips!

6. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

I don't hunt down south very often but late season in north CO is always the best on the river or on a warm water slew after everything ices up. If you venture up my way PM me and I'll tell you a couple good spots to try. As far as spreads I've had good luck with a dozen full body sleeper ducks and three or four floaters on sand bars. It's light enough for walking in and looks natural. also look for calm water to put your deacs in. The Ducks always seem to want to get out of the current and it helps with not having your debits get drug off

7. fonesplicr

fonesplicr Senior Refuge Member

Pretty sure that forum is only showing a weak heartbeat too.

8. spaightlabs

Yeah, but compared to this state forum it is like Grand Central Station. I think internet scouting killed off a lot of guys desire to post any pics up or help anyone out, plus good ol' Book of faces has taken a lot of the traffic over for sure.

9. TKDGuy

TKDGuy New Member

Thanks for the comment and the offer!