Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

TIPS NEEDED

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Redlabhunter, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Redlabhunter

Redlabhunter New Member

Ok so i want to start mounting ducks and geese for myself and friends wondering if anyone would be willing to share some tips and tricks or tools i will need thanks in advance

2. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Redlab, I started out years ago and started learning by trial and error. Have learned some things along the way, and continue to learn each time I mount a bird. The first thing I would suggest is to start on birds you know probably wont look good in the end. Save your prize birds for when you have had lots of practice. The first few birds will not look like they do in your minds eye when you start. As far as tools go get yourself a scalpel/hobby knife with extra blades, and the most important tool you can have is a wire wheel. I have made one and was gifted a commercial one. They are not hard to make if funds are tight or your not sure if you will be in it for the long haul. The fat on late season fully plumed bird is pretty thick and must come off. In my opinion defatting the bird is the nastiest part, most time consuming part, as well as the most stressful part. One tip is to keep your birds flesh side nice and wet with a squirt bottle of water as you put him on the wire wheel. This will help prevent the wire wheel from putting big holes in the hide. I would also watch some you tube videos, and read some articles to learn some tricks of the trade. One last thing be patient with yourself and the time it takes. It is a lot of work but at the same time can be a very rewarding hobby. I don't charge very much for my birds when I do them for friends because I don't consider myself a taxidermist, but I have made lots of shotgun shell money doing it. Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions. Again I am no professional, but I do enjoy mounting birds and learning new things each time. Good Luck!!

Redlabhunter likes this.
  3. Redlabhunter

Redlabhunter New Member

Thanks for this response! I have been a way for a while but am back now, i was wondering if you happen to have some pictures you could either post or dm of your earlier work vs now so i can see where your problem areas were so i could work on those areas early on.

4. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Redlabhunter, I did take pictures of my early mounts, but unfortunately it was with my old phone that got exposed to a bit to much water and I lost all my pics. I am getting ready to do a drake widgeon here in the near future. I will post a pic of him once I am done. Here is a pic of a deer I just finished for my boy. This was his first buck ever and he got it with his bow. There are still some pins in it as we waited for it to finish drying. A fully trained taxidermist I am sure would be disgusted with it, but my son is happy with it and I learned and developed some more skills while doing it so we are bo

Attached Files: