Tips to help avoid purchasing a whiner..

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by freefall, Dec 13, 2017.

1. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

My current hunting partner is up against father time and I feel this may be her last season. That said I am looking at breedings and doing my homework on litters but do have a question... is there a way to avoid purchasing a whiner? My current lab whines, always has & is completely unaware of it. It's not loud enough to affect hunting but enough to annoy me :dv

If it's possible I would like to avoid that trait in the future. I'v read that whining is genetic, would researching the parents & they're manners in regards to whining help?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I agree, there is nothing worse than a dog that whines. So far so good on my new pup, she only whined a little on our first real hunt, nothing since. Most of the real bad whiners I have ever been around have been labs, but then again, most hunting dogs are labs. No real good advice for you, but checking the parents is probably a good start.

3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

It should be noted that whining can be a sign of anxiety. In that same context, it should be noted
    that a trainer is capable of causing anxiety in a perfectly normal puppy.

In addition, it is not unusual to stress over even a hint of whining and it is not unusual for the
    usual "application" of pressure. "I am going to make you not anxious come hell or high
    water"
    is kind of an ironic and curious solution to anxiety. Once the closet door is opened
    it can be difficult to keep the dog out.

Making a whining dog stop is kind of like telling you to "Go into that corner, face the wall and
    NOT think about a white bear." :h :h

4. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Vocalization is one of the hardest things to fix. The only way I know to "fix" it, and not just "bury it for a while" is not to let it start. Which ain't near as easy as it sounds, trust me.

5. ChrisF

ChrisF Senior Refuge Member

I’m sure some trainers could speak to lines that are more prone to vocalizing.
    I’ve only had a few dogs, one was an occasional whiner who also had far more prey drive than the others. Not rewarding barking/whining from day one has worked on my other dogs who are very quiet.

6. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

Just my $.02...

I've judged a lot of pups, and for sure the less vocal ones come from lines that produce dogs that aren't vocal.

Some are just plain quiet, some can be corrected/taught, and some are damn impossible to shut up.

Look for the breeding....

3ds

7. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

Buy English breeding. LOL. Someone had to say it. There may be some truth in that statement. I couldn't proved it.

I'm with GulfCoast, but don't know of a way to extinguish vocalization.

8. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the info.

I know there's no chance of stopping my current dog from whining but I definitely want to avoid that trait in my pup. I'll definitely be asking for more guidance in the future.

9. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

One piece of advise I would offer is don't hunt your new pup with your old dog or any other dog that has noise issues. Noise & whining is somewhat contagious.

DEADEYE likes this.
  10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Change a few words on this thread and it could be about searching for a wife. :D