Tips to help avoid purchasing a whiner..

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by freefall, Dec 13, 2017.

1. labber1

labber1 Senior Refuge Member

I have had, and seen dogs belonging to others that are whiners, especially when hunting. Some have had spectacular performance pedigrees. Others have not. Some got over the noise after a little maturity, experience and correction. Some did not. If anyone guarantees you will do better with one line or another, then they don't know any better.
    It's mostly about managing the dog you have. Most dogs can be managed. Some can't. Some people can manage them. Most can't.

2. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

<<It's mostly about managing the dog you have. Most dogs can be managed. Some can't. Some people can manage them. Most can't.>>

This. It's up to you. Whining is basically desire and anticipation and the dog doesn't realize what he's doing. Don't allow it from day one. Teach quiet and don't hope because the parents are quiet, yours will be.

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Having had an incessant whiner that I was never able to cure, I just learned to deal with it with that dog. I tried everything available to me to cure it we never got past it. It started the minute he got in the boat. He calmed down a little as he got older, especially after a couple of retrieves on that hunt. He was a hard driving dog, lost very few birds in his career and had absolutely no quit in him.

Probably the best way to avoid a whining dog is to go with a started dog which is what I did this year. There's really no way to know if you buy an 8 week old pup. I ensured two things going this route; I know the dog doesn't whine and I know he can do the work.

Buying a started dog was best for me. I don't have time to train a dog to do what Luke can do and I didn't want to go through the puppy stage. Financially it penciled out a little better for me as well. That's my opinion - take it for what it's worth!

Dek, Spencer5100 and Doc E like this.
  4. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Teach the command "quiet" from the time pup is 3 mos old until he responds on the dime. If pup is not immediately responding by the time he is 6 mos old then start applying pressure.

5. cranemanlbs

cranemanlbs Senior Refuge Member

The only thing a whiner does is annoy the handler I wouldn't want a dog I had to kick out the blind to get em excited about hunting you guys act like your deer hunting

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

My current dog and my previous dog don't whine and I don't have to kick them out of the boat. I send them, they go. Both were/are very attentive dogs and well behaved. And quiet. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

I was hunting across from a group one day and they had a dog named Joe. Joe whined and barked the entire time they were there. They were 300 yards from me and I could still hear him. His handler kept yelling, "No Joe, no! Quiet. No Joe!" Poor choice of name for that dog. No way I would want that dog in my boat.

7. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

The last thing you want to do with a vocal/whiney dog is apply pressure. It usually escalates the issue. Check retrievertraining.net and search vocal.

Jeff G

labber1 likes this.
  8. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

I use to have a dog that let out a war cry before I released him, it got worse with age.

9. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

9th year with a whiner, actually it's a whine that ends with a snort.it used to drive me nuts but I've learned to live with it. you can brush the boat/ blind put out the dekes without a whimper, but cycle that first shell into the chamber and it's game on! Just looks at the sky and starts his whine -snort routine until a bird shows up..

freefall likes this.