Tire question

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by 10ga, Aug 22, 2013.

1. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

I've got a 2001 Double Cab Taco, 4x4 and I'm looking for new tires. I'm going with 265/75/16's as far as size but I don't know what to get. I drive about 20,000 miles a year and probably 80% of that is street driving. We get some snow here in my area and I rarely ride trails or mud. I want a tire that will wear good but also need something that will go good in the snow. I'm currently running michelin M/S LTX's and as much as I like the way they run on the road, they're not worth a flip in snow and I don't want to spend $200 a tire this time. I'm looking at the yokohama geolandar h/t-s but the reviews I've read are not very good for winter travel. What's the best overall tire for good snow traction, long wear, and a smooth ride? I appreciate any all suggestions.

2. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

I run a 02 Taco and on my second set of General Grabber AT2's and will buy another when needed. I'm in WI and we get ice and snow here and they are excellent in it. Rain also.

Mud and sand they are ok to good. Wear has been excellent also as long as you rotate every other oil change. Their cost is a lot less than BFG tires.

Hope this helps!

3. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

I wound up going with the Cooper A/T3 in 265/75/16. Got them for $144 pus an $80 mail in rebate. They were ranked #1 on Consumer Reports and all the reviews I could find were good. They look good and so far are quite and smooth in the road. Hopefully I'll get to try them off road soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]