Tires

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by kbleger, Aug 5, 2016.

1. kbleger

kbleger New Member

So what tires are y'all running and how many miles are y'all getting out of them? I'm torn on what to get as it will be my DD but used up get to my hunting spots on the weekends. Predominatly encounter mud and sand.

2. huntinjunkie

huntinjunkie Senior Refuge Member

I've had super luck with the Goodyear Dura Tracs (10ply) if you can handle the sticker shock.
    I'm wondering for the price difference though if I could have gotten away with the Goodyear Walmart superstar the "Authority". A nice looking one is also the Cooper Discoverer STT but I haven't heard anything about them yet.

3. kbleger

kbleger New Member

I'll take a look at them, thanks!

4. Windrider

Windrider Elite Refuge Member

Goodyear Duratracs is a great all around tire.

Had cooper STTs - no thanks, but they are better in mud than the Duratracs.

If mud is a real problem. I've had very good luck with Firestone MTs. I prefer these over the Cooper STT.

5. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

Michelin LTX 100k miles

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

If mud is going to be a routine thing you need to skip the A/T's and go to a real mud terrain. Find one of the less aggressive ones and it won't wear or ride as bad, but will do much better in the mud.

7. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

I bought a new set of BFG KO2's and they are the best tire I've owned for a 4x4. They're AT tires but probably the best tire you can get between a AT and MT. I would also take a look at the General Grabber AT2, especially for the price. Tread pattern is close to the BFG but the BFG has a more aggressive sidewall.

BFG KO2
    [​IMG]

General Grabber AT2
    [​IMG]

8. smackin snows

smackin snows Senior Refuge Member

cooper stt tek3s for me, I have 15,000 miles and have 3/4 tread depth still. They are a little noisy but are great in mud. No matter what you go with they will still get packed with mud, just spin them fast enough to clear them out.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I got 50K out of Cooper Discoverer A/Ts, and General Grabber A/T2s. Running Discoverer A/T3s now. Wearing well, but more of a street tire than a mud tire. I do not get better on road or off road traction with the new Coopers than the previous 2 types.

10. 180proof

180proof New Member

If you're not one to be concerned with where your tires are made, go to Sam's Club and check out the Kanati Trail Hog. There made by the same company that makes the Greenball ATV tires and tires for 18 wheelers. I put a set on my Ram 1500, I've put 30k + on them in less than a year, Good even wear, not loud at all, great traction, they are a Duratrac clone. They are E rated, 10ply, 3ply sidewall. And best of all the cost $808 out the door for 265/70/17. I've done 3 rotations and one alignment, and I still have about 10-20K left on them. IAll road conditions, multiple 10+ hour trips, gravel roads, etc...

I have two buddys that bought them, one guy is a logger in VA and the other is a commuter here in TN, both put in lots of miles, the logger has since bought an additional set for his personal truck and he will be putting them on his other work trucks. The commuter really likes his, worked great in the snow and ice driving from Stewart TN (aka BFE) to Nashville. He lives on a dirt road which is the longest mud bog ever when it rains, still no issues. They've both told people they know about them as well.

Just another option. I'm buying another set when these wear out.